Thread: When using exterior dark paint (low LRV), is it better cedar or cellular PVC

When using exterior dark paint (low LRV), is it better cedar or cellular PVC

I am planning to fabricate and paint exterior shutter. I will paint them with Benjamin Moore Van Deusen Blue -- light reflective value of 9.21 -- 100% acrylic, high gloss, to match the existing entry door (still undecided about the specific BM line). For material, I am deciding between cedar (or cypress or redwood) and Azek cellular PVC. I am leaning toward PVC. However, I just read that Azek says that its PVC products need to be painted with light colors, with a light reflective value of 55 or over. (I read somewhere that, if one still wants to paint with a dark color, one needs to use a "heat reflective" paint or a paint specifically use for that purpose like Sherwin Williams Vinyl Safe).

Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this issue? Does BM produce an acrylic, high gloss paint that can be tinted dark and used in cellular PVC?

I guess if I can't find a solution, I might have to consider fabricating the shutters with cedar, cypress or redwood, then water-proof, then alkyd primer, then the high gloss acrylic BM paint... but the no-maintenance property of PVC is appealing.

Thanks

Remember that any paint color can, with a sample, be formulated in any brand of paint, It may start as a Benjamin Moore, but S-W could make it too. I'm not sure about the precise requirements for AZEK, though. You might want to consult directly with the manufacturer.

Thanks Steve. I actually called a near-by SW and they told me that they can color-match the BM paint and add their vinyl-safe additive. (BM apparently doesn't have an equivalent additive). So I decided to go for cellular PVC. The shutters will be free-standing (as opposed to, say, facia) and will not get direct light so contraction/expansion issues should be minor. In any event, I will experiment with a sample of PVC.