Thread: Kauai turning wood source

Kauai turning wood source

Hello, I'm currently on vacation in Kauai for a wedding and realized that I might be able to pick up some really attractive wood. But, I haven't been able to find any sources on the internet. Does anyone know where I could find some of the local woods?

Thanks.

Is there a woodcraft store there on the island, if so I would call and see if they have any.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Hawaii is pretty stiff on local wood harvesting. I used to have a couple friends there that would throw me a bone here and there...but its getting very expensive.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Fournier View Post
    Hello, I'm currently on vacation in Kauai for a wedding and realized that I might be able to pick up some really attractive wood. But, I haven't been able to find any sources on the internet. Does anyone know where I could find some of the local woods?

Thanks.
    Nick,
    If you happen to be in Lihue heading past the hospital (& WalMart), you'll go down a hill going towards Hanamaulu - at the bottom of the hill it is called Kapaia and there is a small shop on your left (mauka) that makes and sells the absolute finest Koa rocking chairs I've ever seen on any island. It's right on the corner at the bottom of the hill where a road heads left to Wailua Falls - a nice sight to see, btw - STOP THERE.
    I can't remember the name of the guy who makes the chairs, but my friend Craig owns the building and lives there: they sell Koa boards, mainly bigger cutoffs, but who knows on any given day what you might find. Even if you don't find what you're looking for there, Craig knows the island as good as anybody and better than most, a born & raised local boy. Tell him Russ sent you, and when he finishes pounding your face, he will probably let you know where else to go for other lumber, assuming of course that you show your aloha. If Craig isn't around, and Maurice (Craig's dad) is, give my aloha to him as well; you'll find him even easier to get along with than his Panda Bear son. He's gonna be pounding on my haole face next time I see him if you show him this post. Seriously...good people!!! They will point you in the right direction.

I think Honsador Lumber, out by the airport, may carry some local wood, too, but I'm not sure. Enjoy your stay on the Garden Island, where my heart still calls home.
    Will Turn for Coffee