Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Festool Gloat

Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    Sanding? Enjoyable? Really?
    Maybe more tolerable?

Nice!
    I just used my TS55EQ Sunday to break down some 1/2" MDF.

It was so clean I almost forgot how miserable MDF is.

Not to worry - reality set back in when the pieces went through the TS on the sled.

I'm really liking my OF1040 as well... Haven't sprung for a festool sander yet, but y'all are mighty convincing.

First, I would like to say congrats to Jeff on his new saw and vaccuum. These are great pieces. You are really going to like cutting large plywood panels straight, square and smooth with no dust.

Second, not sure how this turned into a sanding discussion but since the door was opened... I have a couple of festool sanders and they are nice but nothing beats the Mirka Ceros sander. Very low noise and vibration (yes lower than festool) and the dust collection is as good or better than festool. The thing that really made me switch was the speed of sanding. The Ceros just gets the job done faster.

~Todd

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    Sanding? Enjoyable? Really?
    Yes, it's a blast. Come on over and I'll let you sand for me ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bin View Post
    Second, not sure how this turned into a sanding discussion but since the door was opened... I have a couple of festool sanders and they are nice but nothing beats the Mirka Ceros sander. Very low noise and vibration (yes lower than festool) and the dust collection is as good or better than festool. The thing that really made me switch was the speed of sanding. The Ceros just gets the job done faster.
    Better than a Dynabrade or Hutchins? I agree that the air-powered units are going to be the ultimate option ***IF*** you have the compressor to power it & can deal with a 2nd hose. Festool sells air sanders BTW (if you like green :-) ).

7. Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Better than a Dynabrade or Hutchins? I agree that the air-powered units are going to be the ultimate option ***IF*** you have the compressor to power it & can deal with a 2nd hose. Festool sells air sanders BTW (if you like green :-) ).
    Don't know about the Dynabrade, but the Ceros is a DC brushless sanding Ferrari. I sold my ETS 150/3 for the 6" Ceros and am not looking back. It is twice the sander and capable of sanding in situations that would be torturous with any my Festools (still have 5). It is truly a step above and Festool is going to need to step up to keep their king of the hill position.

Kevin, would you be so kind to elaborate on how the Ceros excels over Festools.... since you have them all, I would be very interesting in understanding the differences...
    I am in the market for a 6", I currently have the RO125 and 90.... so that is my reference point.... thx so much...

Will, I am sure Kevin will aslo reply but I also have both the Festool and the Mirka Ceros. You can google both Festool and the Ceros and watch videos about both of them. Basically the Ceros is an electric version of a DA sander. It is lighter weight than the Festool ETS 125 EQ sander, has less vibration than the ETS 125 EQ and also does the job with ZERO dust when hooked up to a vaccuum. But the biggest selling point to me was the speed and smoothness in which it sands. I can progress through the grits much faster. And, for me at least, forget about the rotex. It is just too heavy and bulky for your average daily sanding task.

This is not intended to P.O. Festool owners. I have a lot of Festool stuff and think it is great. But when something does a better that is what I will use.
    Last edited by Todd Bin; 07-17-2011 at 7:41 PM.

Congratulations. This is a very versatile setup. (...and the start of a true addiction. LOL) Not only will that saw setup "do the obvious", but there are many other creative ways it can be used. One example from my shop is when I need to occasionally true up a case that for whatever reason had some slight mis-sizing of a panel or two. Just lay the guide rail along the trim line of the box and in a few seconds, corners match perfectly. Etc. I primarily use my TS for home improvement tasks since I have a slider, but it very often fills great little needs in the shop, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My friends 6" Ceros does not have less vibration than my 150/3. No way. Also with a fein adapter on a porter cable wet dry vac hose and the Ceros's arm for the dust shield it is not balanced well at all and teh VS button paddle do not help the balance either. Also the 10ga SJO sized power cord to the car amp sized brick inverter is annoying - the brick then really has a short cord between it and the plug. You can keep your Ceros IMO.The comment that it is a step up and that it can sand things the 150/3 cannot is limited to what - a few varrow passages?? The VS paddle is also fine if you want to go full bore but definately takes a fine touch to master VS wise and again is self defeating with the hose and dust arm weight. Shy of the vibration (hand being so close to the pad) and power cord thickness it would be a perfect sander if did not use a dust hose. Just my opinion.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Congratulations. This is a very versatile setup. (...and the start of a true addiction. LOL) Not only will that saw setup "do the obvious", but there are many other creative ways it can be used. One example from my shop is when I need to occasionally true up a case that for whatever reason had some slight mis-sizing of a panel or two. Just lay the guide rail along the trim line of the box and in a few seconds, corners match perfectly. Etc. I primarily use my TS for home improvement tasks since I have a slider, but it very often fills great little needs in the shop, too.
    Thanks Jim. I broke it in this past weekend and it cut beautifully. It won't replace my PM66, but it will supplement it nicely

Okay, I am blaming this all on you people here. I ordered a CT36 along with a ETS150/3 today.What made me change my mind is that I have yet another kitchen cabinet job starting in 2 weeks and I hate all the dust that I see with my current sanders. I have a overhead air cleaner and a downdraft table and both of those options are very high maintenance items to keep running right with all the filters. I have always said I would never ever go down the Festool route but I guess I proved myself wrong.

Gary
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Redden View Post
    Okay, I am blaming this all on you people here. I ordered a CT36 along with a ETS150/3 today.What made me change my mind is that I have yet another kitchen cabinet job starting in 2 weeks and I hate all the dust that I see with my current sanders. I have a overhead air cleaner and a downdraft table and both of those options are very high maintenance items to keep running right with all the filters. I have always said I would never ever go down the Festool route but I guess I proved myself wrong.

Gary
    Welcome to the family Gary