Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Walnut Log

Andrew, finding a ripping chain locally may not be an easy task. You need to know the gauge and pitch of the chain on the saw to buy a chain. For example, a lot of saws use 0.050" gauge and 3/8" pitch, but Stihl often uses 0.065" (or close) and 0.325", so you need to know exactly what's used on it. I've never been able to buy a ripping chain at a shop where I live, but maybe you can where you are. I buy my Oregon chains from Madsens in Oregon, but you can buy ripping chains from Bailey's on-line, as well. Maybe there's an on-line supplier in Canada, or maybe a saw dealer can order one for you. It may be easier, however, to just have a local saw shop regrind a regular chisel tooth chain into a ripping chain (10 - 15 deg top plate angle). Actually, that's what I'd do if I were in your position. Just take the saw to them and tell them what you need. You should be able to cut that log without having to resharpen the chain, provided the bark is not full of mud. If the chain gets dull, however, you'll have to sharpen it or take it back to the shop for them to do so. If the chain makes sawdust instead of chips, it's dull. Lastly, I hope you are able to rent a saw that includes some kind of indemnity against breakage. Nothing is harder on a chainsaw than ripping. Do not rent a homeowner type saw unless it includes insurance against breakage. What you really want is a professional grade saw. Good luck.

Oi... maybe it'd be better to just bring the log home, and then tackle the ripping after a bit of purchasing and more homework...?
    New Canuck Workshop

Did some Googling... turns out Oregon chains are manufactured an hour west of where I live. As a result there's almost a dozen different dealers that carry their chains. I'll have to do some calling around in the morning to see if at least one of them stocks the ripping chain. I'm hoping the big box rents a decent saw, since I don't really feel like dropping money on a chainsaw to "save" money on lumber.
    New Canuck Workshop

Disappointing.

I went to look today at the log in question, and "cut down last week" turned into "cut down two years ago". Somewhat to their credit they had been covering it during the winters, but two years baking on their backyard deck did little to maintain the value in what would've been a prime piece of walnut. The ends were pretty horrendously checked, as one might expect from a log left to air dry without any end grain treatment. I would have guess that maybe the middle 2 feet would have been usable. It was a short (5 ft) if stout (20"+ diameter).

To make matters a bit worse, the homeowner was awfully sour that I wouldn't take the log. Apparently, she felt as though I had stolen her time and was not adhering to the code of Kijiji conduct. This was after she tried to convince me that wood needed to "rest" to be usable, and that it was in better condition to use now than it would've been had I taken it when it was freshly cut. Go figure.
    New Canuck Workshop