Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you own one?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do you own one?

How many of you woodworkers own a radial arm saw. I was just wondering what the general opinion of radial arm saws are here at the Creek.
    Last edited by aurelio alarcon; 02-15-2005 at 11:22 PM.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

I have a rockwell 12" turret head. FOR SALE. Just don't use it much anymore.

I've got a 10" Craftsman (Emerson) dating from about 1972. I don't use it much anymore and ought to try to sell it. But it was the first saw I bought beyond hand tools and a circular saw so it was used at one time.

I have a craftsman and I use it all the time.But just for crosscutting.Everthing else on the tablesaw.

I have a craftsman from about 1969, use it every day, but just for cross cuts.

Delta 33-890

All -

I have the Delta turret arm model 33-890. Had to dust it off to check. Got it in 1987.

It is parked far back in the corner. Saving for future use when I move to a 'real' shop for basic cross cutting.

That said, when visiting my B-I-L this summer, I used his RAS to make dados for kitchen cabinets and window frames. Falls in the "use what you have" theory of building.

Ted

I've had a Craftsman 10in. for about 25 yrs. It has always served me well, but it does take some work. 90 deg. is dead on, but everything else needs to be measured each time you set up. It will start to get out of square and needs to be set up too often. However, I've used it to build everything from houses, boats, kayaks, kayak paddles and dulcimers. I rip, cross cut, dado, miter and use it for a thickness sander. It works well if I put a good blade on it. Good blades cost about what the saw cost 25 yrs. ago. At the time I bought it, I bought the cheapest RAS, circular saw and jig saw I could find. I still have and use them all. I do take care of them, but their longevity is probably more due to the fact that I use hand tools 80% of the time. I would probably buy one again because I have to keep the center of my shop open for the boats I work on. RAS tend to work better on a wall than a TS. The TS's I've used have been much more accurate for most jobs. If I were to change most of projects, I would probably opt for a TS.

I have a Craftsman, I'm pretty sure it was made mid '70's, just like brand new. I installed a entrance door for a guy and he gave me the saw for payment. I've never used it...I gave it to my dad for his workshop.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Me Too on the 70s Cman. Got a work out in its day. All I had for many years. Now it acts as a buffer/ polisher for rehabing rusty treasures. Or stacking stuff on.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 02-16-2005 at 7:18 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Love it for cross cutting large pieces and it was my uncle who gave it to me so there is some centimental value there as well. Sent the carriage to Original Saw and they put 2 new motor bearings in it along with 4 new carriage bearings and for $100 it works like new. I doubt I will be selling it anytime soon, although they do bring good prices on ebay . (Stock photo, I am at work and no access to pics @ home)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Greg Narozniak; 02-16-2005 at 3:49 PM.

11. Early 70s craftsman here, used for crosscuts mainly...

I have a older Craftsman (Emerson) that I have had for too many years. I use it for cross cutting only and use the table saw for eveything else. It really comes in handy for cutting multiple quantities of shelving etc. I make a lot of cabinet face frames and it is handy for that purpose also. I do have to admit that if I did not have one, I would not buy one. I got mine from my Father-in-Law after his passing.
    Last edited by Don Selke; 02-16-2005 at 1:38 AM.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

I have a DeWalt 770 that was my first saw. An older DeWalt, that my dad had, built some homemade speakers, out of walnut ,veneer and solid, that I still use today, albeit in the garage. When I crank up my old 150w/channel [60's] Kenwood tuner those speakers put out some sound. They shake the ground and can be enjoyed, quite comfortably, at least 100 yards away. Got to crank up "Old Time Rock & Roll" and "Sweet Home Alabama", as well as some CCR.

I use my RAS for cross cuts, some mitering and some dado work. I'm not sure I'd buy one now, but I wouldn't get rid of the one I have, even though I do have a CMS and I really don't know what I did before I got my TS.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

14. I have a Craftsman that must be 15 years old now. I use it exclusively for rough sizing stock and piling stuff on when not in use...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

I bought one at a garage sale and sold it a few months later. I got frustrated trying to get the thing aligned and decided that it wasn't worth the trouble. Every once in a while I come across a task that would make one nice, but less often since I got a sliding table for my table saw.