Thread: GOOD lumber source in LOWER ALABAMA?????????, will travel.

GOOD lumber source in LOWER ALABAMA?????????, will travel.

Anyone in the Mobile, AL area know of a good location for Lumber... Looking for a spot to go for the 'good stuff'

been here a couple of years but just can't find a place that has it all, all the time.

I will gladly the travel.... 4, 5, 6, 7, .... just tell me of a place that is good.

Bubinga,
    QS White Oak,
    Curly Cherry,
    Birdseye Maple,
    Paduuk ETC...

Thanks, Craig T.

If you come across a good source for QS White Oak, I'd be interested too. Checked the other day with hardwoods of Alabama and it was over $7.00 for 4/4 and over $8.50 for 8/4!. I have some plans to build at least one Morris chair, a prairie settle and some small tables to go with them and that price would just about kill me.
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 07-14-2011 at 8:47 AM. Reason: typo

The only one I know is Hogan Hardwoods. They have a distribution yard in LaFayette LA. Thass too fur for me!

http://www.hoganhardwoods.com/Default.htm

Craig/Jerome, you really should check out: quartersawnoak.com. Contact Scott Smith, he is also a contributing member of SMC. He has some of the best looking Oak I have seen, and can get you 4/4 oak delivered to your doorstep for less than what you would pay at Hardwoods of Alabama.
    Last edited by Gary Conklin; 07-14-2011 at 3:06 PM.

I have some QS white oak in Middle Georgia for sale, but it is still drying. I also have some wormy white oak from a tree that had died so it has the little ambrosia beetle holes in it giving it a very nice rustic look.

Scott is the QS White Oak Whisperer!!

Thanks for the web site link. I have frineds in that general area so a road trip may be in order in the nebulous future!

I have spoke to Mark Harding by phone but I haven't met him in person. He sounds reasonable and his prices are lower than what Hogans was a few years ago when they were in Santa Rosa Beach. He works for/with one of the dealers in Mobile and delivers all the way over to Ft. Walton Beach. He lives in Innerarity Point, near Perdido Key, Florida, so he's not too far from you. I was impressed enough with his pricing to write his number on the side of my computer with dry erase marker... his number is 850-221-1502.

If he works out for you, let me know. I haven't had a need for any large amount of lumber, but I soon will.

Thanks, Dan

Mark is an good guy,

I have him bring me lumber fairly often, He does a good job of hunting down what you need... to the extent of the "local" suppliers abilities... I have not yet heard of Hogan's yet... I will be calling them tomorrow being that their website is promising...

PS... He did just bring me some alright QS White Oak... He was able to get a hold of 200 BF without to much of an issue...

http://www.peeplesexoticwood.com/ Lorin is great to work with. He is just North of Pensacola off of HWY 29.

Hey Craig
    Thanks for posting this topic. I live over the Bay outside of Mobile and have been pulling my hair out trying to find a good local lumber source. Don't forget Craig's list, there are a few folks up in Atmore and Evergreen who have small sawmills and post on there. BTW.. just a thought... if you decide to place an order some where see if they give a quanity discout.. maybe a few of us down here could get together and form a buyers club.. I know in the future I am going to be buying a bit of QS Oak for a new bed room suit
    Jeff