Thread: Router bit storage trays

Router bit storage trays

I carry two trays of router bits to the jobsite, one with a hundred 1/4" shank, and one with a 100 1/2" shank bits. Recently I decided that I did not like the layout of the 1/2" tray, so I made one out of Azek as it was around. The other is white oak.

Fast forward......

I have been working in the shop all week and not at the sight since last Friday, a whole week. Had to run over there this afternoon and check something. There was a plumbing leak in the garage, and everything was damp. My bit trays were off the floor but close. I pulled bits out of the Azek tray, and there was not a bit of rust on the shanks. I pulled the bits out of the oak tray, and the shanks were totally rusted, and I had sprayed that tray down with oil at one point. Some are so bad that I am not so sure they will clean up.

So.... The moral of this story is: If you are making trays for bits, try Azek.

Larry

Never considered making a tray using Azek. Great Idea...
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...

Trick for nice fitting tray with Azek.

I did not have a bit just over 1/2", and I wanted the tray to fit snug as it has to go with me. I layed out my drill pattern, stuck the Azek in the freezer so it would be shrunk fully, and then drilled it while it was still cold. Bits fit nice. If you drill one when it is hot, when it is cold you will not be able to get the bits out very easily.

Larry

You can use a 13mm bit also to drill holes for a 1/2" shank.

I had never heard of Azek before, they make several products. Did you use scrap from the deck boards they make?

Great idea though! I often thought of making bit trays from scrap UHMW (Ultra high moleculare weight (super hard plastic)) stock.

I use 3/8" thick polycarb cutting boards found at a swap meet for cheaper than normal retail

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    I use 3/8" thick polycarb cutting boards found at a swap meet for cheaper than normal retail
    I've heard you can find them at dollar stores too, but they never have them when I go!