Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Lathe Decisions ???

Given the choice I'd buy the Delta again.Loving it!!
    Last edited by Jeff Fagen; 07-15-2011 at 3:51 PM.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

2. You will do yourself a huge favor if you take the advice and get the Delta 46-460! If a midi lathe is all you can afford, and there is not a good used lathe on the market at present.........you cannot go wrong with this mid sized machine..........it has the best features for the money, and is well thought out in design.

The turncraft commander is a nice little lathe, but it does not reverse, and the warranty is 2 years shorter.............these turners are speaking from the voice of experience and are trying to help you get the best bang for the buck and avoid mistakes.......trust their judgment!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Used will get you what you dream of in the price you have listed. Of course you'll have to be very patient and perhaps travel a bit. I would never buy a new lathe again. This is not to say that I regret buying my General 260 but I have learned that lathes fair very well compared to other equipment and a used one can often be mint at a huge cost savings.

I would suggest looking at the Nova 1624.

+ whatever on the Delta. I have a Jet mini and the 1642. I've turned on the Delta, and it is a very nice little lathe. Get the stand also. It's not as good as the 1642, but for the money, I think you'd be hard presed to find better for under $1000.

Another vote for the 460 Delta. I have big hands and the belt change is a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Get the stand also.
    I built the stand for mine from 2x4s, and much preferred it to the factory stand. You can design is for some ballast and some storage - options not very compatible with the OEM stand. Plus, it is a quick, cheap and easy build. Somewhere there is a thread on the stand I built, and a couple of different threads with stands for the Delta around the same time. I will try to find the thread if you are interested.

18 months of owning a Delta 46-460 I would do it again. I vote like John K and Bernie W. The machine has done all I have asked up to 11 1/2 "
    Peter