View Poll Results: How many is "a couple" of something?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Exactly 2

111 83.46%
  • 2 or more

11 8.27%
  • Both

11 8.27%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many is a couple?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    "I'll have it done in a couple of days" means "up to two".
    That is like saying "manama" means tomorrow, and I learned that in Italian it only means not today. A couple of minutes can take a while.

I have often subscribed to the following form of counting: "One, Two, Some, Many....." - Baldrick on the Black Adder Series starring Rowan Atkinson.

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

"A" is one. A "couple" is two. A "few" is three. Anything over that is scads.
    I drink, therefore I am.

64ths... how many shavings is that?

Depends on what you're talking about really..

If you're talking about a married pair, then it's exactly two. (Well, until the polyamourists start re-defining marriage.)

If you're asking someone to get a few screws, then a couple is probably two..

If someone asks you how many of those tools you have, and you just don't remember, then you say, "I think I have a couple of those."

1/64 is approximately .015 inches- or just a little thicker than a matchbook cover. What? You didn't know that?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Depends on the context - a couple is two people, but a couple of minutes is much less specific.

I always thought there are overlapping ranges to non-specific quantity designations:
    couple: 1 - 3
    few: 2 - 7
    several: 5 - 12
    dozen: could mean exactly 12 (or 13), or 10 - 20
    lots: more than the others
    many: I don't want to know...
    hundreds
    thousands
    millions
    billions
    now which is bigger - jillions or gazillions???

...my couple of cents worth.
    I've measured three times, cut twice, and it's STILL too short...

A couple pairs of socks is 4 individual socks...that's the only thing I can think of. Other than that, if you say a couple for anything other then two, then you aren't giving that much importance to the quantity. couple is two, three is a few, and anything more needs a definitive quality or a "several"

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    LOML and I have had a debate going for a while now on how many "a couple" represents. She says 2. I say 2 or more and say a couple and a few can be used interchangeably to represent a small but unknown quantity. I mean, if I knew it was 2 I would just say 2.

What do you think?

1. Exactly 2
    2. 2 or more
    3. Both
    It's sufficiently stout..

A couple is two, hence a husband and wife are a couple.
    A few can mean many, typically more than two.

I once worked with someone who insisted a couple was "two" and could not be more. So I cut him off on his "couple of thoughts" after the second.
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Klaaren View Post
    I once worked with someone who insisted a couple was "two" and could not be more. So I cut him off on his "couple of thoughts" after the second.
    Sort of like when someone says "I just have a couple more questions." and you know that means another 30 minutes.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra