Thread: Desk and hutch

Desk and hutch

I wrapped this up a couple of months ago. Altogether the unit is approx. 8' wide by 8.5' tall. Setting the hutch in place was pretty nerve wracking. The hutch has a beaded faceframe while the desk portion is frameless. The finishing process was incredibly time consuming. It's hard to tell from the pictures but it has a black crackle, chipped paint finish with gold/silver accents on the beads and moulding profiles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Something you just wipped up? That is beautiful!
    What are the woods used?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That is one mammoth hutch... Hows the back after getting it in place?
    Real nice work Russell.

I was somewhat hamstrung by client demands for the size of the hutch as they wanted something that big. While it looks out of proportion in the photos it doesn't feel that way when you see it in person. The kicker when installing it was that it wasn't just a matter of setting it on top of the desk. The braces that you see on the side have three of the largest dominos protruding from the bottom that fit into mortises in the top of the desk so in addition to lifting it up we had to carefully place it so that it would all line up and fall into place.
    Much of it is made from poplar. There is some of it that is done in alder since when I started the project the client wanted it stained. It wasn't until I had actually stained about a third of the piece that they decided they wanted the distressed, painted finish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice work!

Yes nice work! Black ugh , tough to paint and look great. Under it must be perfect.

Wow...that is MAGNIFICENT, Russell! Bravo on that project!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Russell, that is absolutely impressive!

Did you have an existing design to work from or as an inspiration -- or did you create the design all by yourself?

I ask because for such a large piece the scale and proportions of all the components fit together very well to my eye! Great job!

Thanks guys. Mike, the design was mine in as much as anyone can claim an original design. I spend a lot of time looking at other cabinetry on-line and in magazines and try and take some inspiration from those sources. I was also fortunate enough to work in a high end shop over the summers for a couple of years and was exposed to quite a bit there as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

very nice work.....cheers.
    Jerry

Wow -- that is all.

ditto what everyone else has said. AWESOME.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand