Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Not So Incredible, Inedible Egg

The Not So Incredible, Inedible Egg

First, I should point out that this was inspired by John Keeton by way of Cindy Drozda, then a bunch of Youtube videos, Egg McMuffins, those Incredible Edible Egg commercials and ultimately either the chicken or the egg, whichever came first.

A local art gallery is having a juried show called "Unexpected Tales" and the guidance is that "things are not always as they seem. Look beyond everyday life and you may discover exciting hidden treasures." This gallery is for "edgy" art meaning that it should be on the cuttting edge or "provocative." I decided to tackle it using the dilemma argued all the way back to Plato and Aristotle, "which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

This one is called "Which Came First, You Or The Egg?" (the chicken/egg argument really refers to human creation) It's made of chestnut and is 7 1/2" high by 3 1/2" wide, with the egg being 5". It was hollowed from between 1/8" to zip, and I had two pin holes and a crack towards the top which fortunately was then used to make the opening. The inside of the egg was painted white with a mirror glued to the rear and caulking was applied around the mirror and the area where the hole in the bottom was attached to the pedestal. The pedestal was made somewhat stout because the weight of the mirror and caulking made the form unbalanced. Finished with danish oil, WOP and some ebony stain. The chestnut was recommended to me by Mike Leigher of TurningBlank.net at the Tenn.Woodturning Symposioum.

So far, everyone who has seen it has been startled when they look inside and see their own eye and then start smiling or laughing. It's laid out so that when you look into it you see your eye framed by the jagged opening in the egg. Gives me that feeling we all get when we tell a good joke. Thanks for looking.
    DSC01241.jpgDSC01252.jpgDSC01245.jpgDSC01246.jpgDSC01247.jpg

Somehow, when I looked at this post, the second pic jumped out at me. My first thought was that there was a little device inside the egg. Then I realized it was a mirror. Very cool. There does appear to be a bit of a "flat spot" at the top of the egg but I don't think that distracts from the statement. And I like the wider base. I hope I'm not out of line in saying that while this might focus our attention on the question, it does little to answer it!
    David DeCristoforo

Thats no campbell soup can, but thats art! Nice job, very creative.... and best of luck to you!

LIke David that second pic appeared to have something mounted inside it till I looked closer, what a great effect to have, I like it. Its nice when we are inspired by our fellow turners like this, good job.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Bill, that is just really neat!! I bet getting that mirror set inside was a pain - not much wiggle room in that opening. Very nice work, and very imaginative! I like the chestnut, too - great turning wood.

Ha!!! Ya gotta love that Bill! Great egg, the story and effort behind it is just plain fun!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

7. WOW thats really cool I love the effect great message Hope the show goes well!
    Ermmm ............ lots of miles from Mr S very many miles

Great design concept and execution!

Pretty neat! Eggs can be tough, and you've done a nice job with this one. Love the mirror... Very edgy!

Great imagination!

Now that just looks like too much fun. I love the concept and the execution is great.
    I agree that you have contributed little to the argument of which came first though.

very cool work..eggs can have flat spots..I'm a country gal and have seen many "non-perfect" eggs. thanks for posting this

That is a wonderful thing! The mirror has got to be so much fun when folks pick it up and look inside! Great looking egg and I hope it is the hit of the show!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Love the idea and the project. That is very cool and does a great job continuing to draw people in for more. Excellent work

Neat idea Bill. At first I thought there was a picture inside!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------