Thread: Machine is chattering

Machine is chattering

Okay, not sure how to describe this but when I'm running a job, both engraving and cutting, the machine will all of a sudden starting chattering/stuttering/vibrating/whatever. I was cutting some thin material and it made the cut look like a zigzag pattern. Of course when I'm engraving it makes the text pretty hard to read. Any one have any experiences with this sort of problem? Any clue what it could be caused by?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Epilog Legend EX24, Corel X3

I had a similar issue when I first bought my machine. It was an out of tolerance linear guide on the gantry. Swapping it out fixed the problem. I figured it out by wiggling the lowest point of the air assist perpendicular to the gantry. There was quite a bit of movement.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

It could also be that the machine needs a thorough cleaning or that you need new bearings.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I just had that problem occur this past week. It turned out to be the x axis motor. A replacement is on it's way. Hope to be up and running by Tuesday. Hope your skittering problem is simpler to resolve, those motors aren't cheep.
    Dan

Blog Entries
    I'd also make sure your encoder strip (and sensor) is clean.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I'd go with a good cleaning too. If that doesn't do it, vector a vertical and a horizontal line to see which axis is the problem. If you can do it easily enough, swap the x and y motors and see if the problem follows. If it does, it's likely a motor (or encoder strip). If it stays in the same axis, it's probably a bearing.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Lube on the bearing track may help.. Put a little blob of white grease on the upper and lower grooves, move the head back and forth a few times to get the grease into the bearings. Then, take a rag and wipe all excess grease off the rail so there is nothing there to collect crud..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Well, the problem seems to have stopped, for the most part. It still does it, but only if I pause the job and restart it. At least that's what happened the last 2 days. Didn't really do anything to the machine so I'm not sure what was/is causing it.

Steve
    Epilog Legend EX24, Corel X3

Last time my machine did that, it was a bearing.
    Vytek 5151 FXB 100W, Adobe CS5 (Illustrator + Photoshop), Photograv 3.0, Laserworx (signlab)