Thread: CBN mounting on grinder

CBN mounting on grinder

I have an 8" Baldor grinder. After reading info about the CBN wheels, I would like to order one, but only if I can find out if the mounting of one has been successful other Baldor grinder owners. Has anyone with a Baldor grinder put a CBN wheel on your grinder? If so, did you leave the wheel guards on or take them off? If you took them off, how did you make the modification?

Thanks, Dan

2. What size is your arbor on the shaft?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The shaft is 3/4".

Dan, I would suggest you contact Dave Schweitzer and ask him. Dave is not only an accomplished turner, but he is a remarkably talented individual with machinery having built his own lathe. I bet he will know what it takes to make it work.

Dan,

I have the 7" Baldor which I bought for the CBN wheels. With the arbor adapter (because the hole diameter is 1") the wheels went on without at hitch. I removed the guards because there is no danger of the steel wheels exploding like with the conventional wheels. This from Dave. I'm glad that this technology is now available for us. Dave has a video on his website detailing this and other points of information.

Contact Dave. He has his arbors specially made in the U.S. so I am sure he can easily get one custom made the right size for you.

Dan:

I just finished mounting one on my Baldor 8100W. I had the same concerns as you since the cast iron guard also holds the bearing in place. I ended up machining a one piece sleeve/spacer to mount the wheel and center it in the guard. You need to remove the roll pin in the shaft that normally prevents the inboard factory wheel flange from spinning on the shaft (I twisted it out with Vise Grip pliers). I had originally planned to make a spacer as required for the guard cover, but it turned out to be unnecessary. It fits well, with about 3/32" space between the wheel and the guard on each side.

I think you could do the same thing by ordering a 3/4" ID bushing from Dave, to mount the wheel on the shaft, then using another larger OD bushing as a spacer between the shaft collar and the wheel flange.

I ordered the 180 grit wheel and really like it so far. It was shipped within an hour of ordering, and I received it 2 days later.

Hope this helps

Richard

Baldor 2.JPGBaldor 3.JPGBaldor 1.JPG

Thanks to you all for your feedback. Richard, I too have the 8100W Baldor grinder and your pictures were helpful.

Thanks, Dan

what is the width of your wheels ? would 1 1/2 wide wheels fit ? there is a place out of canada, CUTTERMASTERS, that make these CBN wheels to fit your shaft. Would this
    be better than using a bushing ? Where can you find the best price on a BALDOR 8100w grinder ?
    Last edited by logan dodd; 12-14-2013 at 2:33 PM.

I have had mine on Baldor Grinders for a couple of years now. I couldn't find any way to remove the pin in the motor shaft without grinding off, and didn't want to do that. I first tried stamped washers to space it out far enough so that the pin would be covered. That was okay, but there was some lateral/side ways run out till the wheels got up to speed, then they ran true (same result with Cuttermaster and Optigrind). The stamped washers are not very uniform. I went to a machine shop and had them make some spacers, 5/8 inch thick, 1 1/4 inch diameter and bored out so they would go on the motor shaft, which means the inside bore was a hair over 3/4 inch so it can be put off and on. I cut a slot for the pin with a metal blade on a jig saw. No lateral run out any more. I do not have the outside wheel guard on my grinders. It can be put on though if I wanted, as the Baldor has a long shaft.

The biggest decision in buying the CBN wheels is not brand/make, but wheel width. There are 1 1/2 inch wide (D Way and Optigrind), and 1 inch wide (Woodcut available from Packard, and the Raptor from Craft Supplies, which is the Optigrind, but only 1 inch wide, and the Cuttermaster, which is Canadian). Craft Supplies only wanted the 1 inch wide wheel so the guards could be kept in place for safety reasons. I don't think there are any safety issues because these wheels are solid steel, and there is zero risk of them ever blowing up, or chunks coming off of them. Now, back to the width issue. The wide wheels will fit on a short shaft, and Dave can make a special bushing to fit the wide wheels on the short shafts. The main reason I prefer the wide wheels is because I never run off the edge when I am sharpening gouges. I did that a number of times with 1 inch wide wheels, even with gouge jigs and with platform sharpening. Side grind is an option, and I don't see much use for it. If that was the concern for me, I would go with the Optigrind because it is about 5/8 inch wide. Cuttermaster and D Way have 1/4 inch width. Other than that, they all cut about the same for comparable grits. I have not tested the Woodcut wheels because I already own too many CBN grinding wheels. I am not sure about the radius edged wheels from Dave (D Way). The idea is that you don't have to swing the handle of your tool through the whole arc, you can push a little way, then go down the side of the wheel for the wings of your scrapers. I can see that being handy for hollowing tips (at the end of John Lucas's sharpening clip on You Tube), but not a necessity on other tools. I do have a larger than I need turning muscle (belly) and it doesn't interfere.

There was some place in Indiana that had the Baldor grinders pretty cheap, but by the time you added freight in, I could purchase it locally, with no shipping charges for the same price. I bought mine from Kaman which is an industrial source place. I would expect Grainger or some of the other similar type places to have them. I would not buy one from a big box store, as you can probably get a better price from one of the more whole sale type places.

Calling Dave is a good idea. Great guy to do business with.

I have a couple of clips up on You Tube where I show my grinder set up. Type in robo hippy.

robo hippy