Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symposiums and Epiphanies

Symposiums and Epiphanies

I did my first woodworking as a child - built a footstool in 4-H with my Dad. Though I have little sense of smell, I can smell shellac (the alcohol, I guess) and each time I use shellac, it brings back warm memories of that time. I was probably 10, and I don't recall doing much except sanding!! I suspect Dad did most of the rest. He wasn't a woodworker, but he was a great Dad! Over the years, I have always done something related to wood, but really I just kind of drifted along - built longrifles, did some simple projects, built some craft projects, finally getting into building furniture.

About 3 years ago, shortly after becoming a member here at the creek, I drifted into hand tools - planes, nice chisels, etc., but still drifting along. I attended a Woodworking In America symposium/convention in Chicago - the first woodworking event I had ever attended in my soon to be 63 years. While there, I had an epiphany.

As a hunter, and more particularly, a bow hunter, I had always advised newcomers to take aim at a particular hair, or dark spot on a deer - ignoring those antlers. Most folks just shoot "at the deer". Humane kills are difficult under those conditions.

During the WIA convention, I suddenly realized the remarkable similarity between building furniture to the concept of aiming at a smaller target. I had built several pieces of furniture, and had always viewed the project as a whole. It became evident that the masters viewed each board, each component, as a separate entity. Each board was jointed, planed and trued. A cabinet door wasn't built as a door, but each rail, each stile was a separate effort.

Now.... to the AAW Symposium - my second woodworking event to attend. And yet, another epiphany! It became apparent that there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of wood turners whose talents exceed mine. And, more importantly, there are countless wood turners that go to demos, watch DVDs, view the works of others - and, then, attempt to turn the same pieces. How many John Jordan "look-alikes" have you seen?

More revealing, however, was the "smack you in the face" realization that I was one of them!!

I left the symposium with the overwhelming realization that I could no longer turn to please others. I could no longer just turn what I had seen others turn. I must begin reaching deep within myself for inspiration. There were other components of this epiphany that had to do with a self-realization of my goals as a wood turner and how to accomplish those, but sharing those is not the point of this thread.

So, what is the point??

Both of my epiphanies resulted in dramatic changes in my woodworking. The first was an astounding difference in the quality of my flat work, and I am hopeful the second will result in more interesting woodturnings.

What epiphanies have you had? Care to share them?? Or, am I the only one that gets hit between the eyes with things like this!?!?!?

John,

Very well said, I agree with your perspective 100% There are many turners out there that have better skills than I. I just try to find my own way and do things that I enjoy that are original as possible. If someone likes my stuff along the way that is just more enjoyment that I get out of the process. Inspiration for me is the toughest part of turning. I really look forward to what you come up with as I know your personality and I am sure you will come up with something grand.

Alan

I've not been to a national meeting or symposium, so the only turned pieces I've ever viewed have been on this site and others... Perhaps I'm still awaiting my epiphany. I've spent the last 3 years imitating pieces that I've seen elsewhere, but I think there's a point in doing so... Different forms, embellishments, and styles require different skill sets. I consider, in retrospect, most if not all of what I've done up to this point as an apprenticeship of sorts... I've been reproducing and replicating things that others have done, and in the process, I've become more proficient in a number of areas. I'm not sure when or if the apprenticeship will end for me, but I certainly enjoy the process.

It seems as though many in the turning community find a niche where they reside. They find a form or a technique that dominates their work, and many become well known for that particular type of turning. I'm not sure my personality is suited for niche turning... In fact, the variety available in turning is one of the things that originally got me interested. Maybe I am a niche turner, and I've yet to find that thing.. Who knows?

Your description of the cabinet door highlights a common theme in the arts... The least well executed component of a particular piece becomes the basis for that piece. Whether it's the curve, the detailing, or the finish, the least of these will set the bar for a particular turning.

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes from your epiphany... I'm still waiting for mine.
    Last edited by David E Keller; 07-17-2011 at 6:58 PM.

Very insightful and introspective, John. I've found I'm not good enough to copy anyone else, so I make what I like. The advice from others is valuable in refining my finishing or what-not. But if I don't like it I wont turn it. Probably why I will never do this for a business. I've also found, with my ADD such as it is, I can't duplicate pieces. So, you'll probably never look at a piece and say, that is Nates style. Not sure if that is good or bad. Thanks for posting this John.

Bravo, Mr K! Sounds like you're about to hit your stride. This should be interesting to watch. I agree with David K, only a couple of yrs behind him. I know the direction I want to go in - that remains the same, but everytime I look up it seems someone has a new embellishment or new texture or something I had not seen.
    So I keep returning to the simple little HF forms I like, and work on imroving some aspect, and the more I focus the more I like the end result.
    I am a hobby turner with a passion for expression. I love wood. I got mediocre grades in art classes because of my 'need" for symmetry. I think I'm in the right place, and right on schedule.........!
    Michael

As an 'old hippy' saved by grace, that was my first Epiphany!My next one was floundering for work in the early 80's after the Plant i was working in went south to Mexico.My ancestors were violin makers, and my Dad was a cabinet maker,carpenter and Remodeler.I had little interest in an of this at the time[tho i did do some carving].When i was out of work my Dad offered to fly me back to Milwaukee to help him on a job.I took a keen interest in the work he did and how he did it.I had never been exposed to his on-site projects.I learned so much so fast,and had a desire to learn and do more.The overall project, of which my Dad and I had a part in went on to win "Project of the Year " award in 'Builders magazine in 1987.I ended my stay in Milw., went back to Az.Along with this, I had a call to do some painting, and the customer said ,"my son messed up our wood floor" can you repair the termite damage and re-sand his errors.Long and short, I found out i was gifted and enjoyed anything about wood floors, and am now in the tail end of that career.The next epiphany, came as I struggled with the knees and back after yrs. of wood floors.At the local comm. college, i thought i'd take a woodworking class in lieu of 'college of the redwoods'[not enough time or money].Well my skill level was far enough along, that i didn't want to take beginning or intermediate...but the college req.'d them before taking the advanced class.So...I thot i'd try woodturning...never having tried it nor what i was getting into.My instructor Brenda Behrens was a God send.She is in the 'masters' book and i think 500 bowls, and has stuff in the smithsonian.I was hooked instantly, and could not get enough.A year later, i'm standing in front of the 'Desert Roundup' Symposium in Mesa Az.,where they had picked 2 of my pc.s from the instant gallery..both in the top 10.Now i'm furiously working on getting my pc.'s in galleries and Etsy etc., etc.It seems this passion fuels my inspiration and imagination, to the point that i have sticky notes, pc.'s of paper, drawings.. all over the place....'Beautiful Mind', 'cept i'm not delusional and still have both ears...thanks for lettin me share. P.S... if this thread runs awhile i will attach the 2 pc.'s picked by the "Instant Gallery"... Thanks Rob

John,

It's very ironic that you bring this topic to light. I am an admittedly frustrated turner. I am frustrated because I want to find my "niche" or "signature" style. I'm frustrated because I THOUGHT I was progressing rather rapidly until I saw 70% of the work at the instant gallery in St. Paul. I had never been exposed to "gallery" caliber turnings and frankly the trip to St Paul, although really enjoyable, was also a slap in the face....back to reality. I wanted to just pack up my things and take them back to the hotel.

I have mimiced almost every turner's style that I have ever seen and attempt to learn as many techniques and styles as I can. I am a sponge for learning right now and am hoping that the combination of different skills will lead me to my destination and allow me to develop my own recognizable style.

You all have seen some of the strange stuff I have posted. Seems that everytime I step outside of the normal boundries, I am just thowing it against the wall and seeing what sticks! A lot of those pieces are polarizing and it's a love hate between the people who even care to post a reply. It's hard to know if I am on the right track....sometimes. On the "other" site, a tell tale is not getting ANY replies or comments! Shoot I haven't even turned anything of high enough public acceptance to get the "cover". That is a reality check for me. Lots to learn yet.

I envy those turners who have that style that is uniquely thier own and yet still turn new and different creations.

Now I realize that I have only been turning for a couple years now, but I get impatient and so I press myself to do things beyond my current abilities. Some times it works out some times ....not so good. Which makes it difficult to realize that metal image that I create, into a piece of wood art.

Stepping outside the norm is the only way to uniqueness, IMO. I have had an epiphany on a slight addition to a bowl or vessel (pierced wing or fin) just because a lot of people stated "I have never seen anything like that before". Which to me was a good comment to read......or was it!

A lot of us are on a similar journey and it is very interesting to see how we each evolve as turners.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Hey John, something that helped me, was at the local college. In the turning class you had 4 critiques a semester.The students and teacher all weigh in with a measure of grace.I brought in 2 pc.'s to be critiqued, and without going thru the details, she judged them both..then starting playing around with the display..stealing a pedestal off one and mixing it with my other asian pc...as soon as she did that, the light went on, it was so obvious that the elements worked well.Brenda Behrens had an artists eye, and her input was invaluable and helped me immensely with how i 'see and look'.Find someone that's better than you, that you trust..and give them permission to critique your work..you can even give them the caveat that they be kind.
    Take away what rings true and positive and build on that.

Scott,i replied to you but wrote John by mistake..my bad.

I guess my perspective is somewhat obtuse. I spent many years with exotic hardwoods making many types of furniture and cabinetry, jewelry boxes, music boxes, toy chests, etc. My enjoyment was always making the pieces then giving each piece to friends and relatives. I never even gave a thought to selling anything. That would make it a job. At the same time I never searched for my niche in the woodworking world. My only emphasis was building each piece one board at a time and, at the same time, learning and perfecting as many new techniques as I could learn (e.g. rails and stiles, mortise and tenon, dovetail joints, etc.).

I expect my new ventures in woodturning (6 months) will follow the same path. I never expect to be as skilled as the majority of turners who had pieces in the Instant Gallery in St. Paul. I only want to learn, enhance my skills, create woodturnings that I can be proud of and give to others, and finally,go to bed each night knowing I gave it my best effort.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

John thanks. For the first 2 or 3 yrs I tried to turn everything I saw and liked. It came to a point where I didn't like copying these things. I finally realized I would put a piece of wood on the lathe and if it was to be a HF, bowl, mini birdhouse, etc to just let it the wood take me to the finish. It is hard for me to explain but I found I like doing cheese/cracker platters, plates and bowls. I just like making utility items and that will probably become my main focus. I still will turn the occasional pen, mini birdhouses, platters with pyrography and lidded boxes. Guess we will see where this leads me and hopefully have some fun along the way.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I see alot of similarities between a lot of people here and myself. My first wood working was in grade school shop, and its kind of funny, when my mom was leaving Iowa for Arizona 3 years ago after my step father passed my little brother went to help her pack up for the move, while there he found and brought to me if not the first then one of the first things I ever made 40+ years ago....its a bread board in the shape of a pig! LOL....I almost hit the floor when I saw....although it is cracked and showing its age a great deal it is now on my kitchen wall. I built a lot of furniture through the years as well, the biggest pieces being 2 matching '7 tall China Cabinets, one for myself, and the matching one for my best friend and his wife, my daughter is constantly asking for ours....one of these days it will be hers. Over the past couple years I was drawn to turning for several reasons, since I started last Dec one of my main goals is to find my niche....still looking, I try and think about things in nature, cloud formations, trees, greek and japanese vessels and turnings...etc...etc...still looking. But...it has only been 6 months I imagine that with more experience and time eventualy I will find my niche and have my ephany....I hope!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

its very hard to be unique, or have unique turnings, but i can try.....to do hf i am influenced by David Ellsworth, to carve on the hollow form John Jordan.....etc.... i do do the Rover series ,shape, finish not the same, but the legs define the Rover, i have seen other supports, but none quite like what i do...... should have a new Rover Wednesday

btw, i wore #13 in highschool, just noticed this was #13 post
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 07-17-2011 at 7:31 PM.

Great, thought provoking thread John. The closest I've come to attending a symposium was a stroll through the instant gallery at the Utah symposium a few years ago. I came away with about the same feeling as John, that I had barely seen the tip of the iceberg in my experiences with the online turning community. There was so much talent, creativity, and craftsmanship in the work in that gallery that I felt like I was walking through the Louvre with my paint by number kit under my arm. But after getting over the initial shock I realized that as beautiful as all that work was, not much of it was anything I was interested in doing myself. I can't really pin down anything that I would consider my own unique style but I can say that what I enjoy most is the wood itself. Most of my wood is something I gather or collect, cut into pieces with no real idea of what it will eventually be, and then store away until I get a chance to work with it. At that point the challenge comes to me to decide what I can turn that will bring out the best in that piece of wood. I'm still focused on that although I don't feel like I hit the mark very often. But the real epiphany came to me a while back when we had the fall Fall 2010 contest here at the Creek. I realized that sometimes, probably more often than not, what I consider some of my best effort at accomplishing my own personal goals will fall way short of impressing most of the other turners. And really, that's how it should be if I'm ever going to be happy with my own work.

John, thanks for your introspective comments. I have been turning frequently for about 6 years since developing space for a shop. It is the only woodworking that I do. My inspiration for turning started with being involved in pottery in high school and college. My father was an architect and taught the same, but was also a painter and latter began turning when he was in his 60's. My mother was a weaver so I have lived around art much of my life. My day job is as a Physician (kidney disease and dialysis) dealing with very sick people. Wood turning provides me with a much needed enrichment for the other side of my life. As such I experience it as not only a great challenge but a great joy. I have been so busy trying new things that I haven't felt the need to develop a style using one form or another. I havn't perfected anything but love to try something new to me. I love wood and unlocking its beauty, but I also love the process of turning, making a good cut with a gouge or creating a pleasing shape. I also love color and texture so I see turnings frequently as a palate to be taken further. I haven't sold many pieces at all but perhaps that will come in the future. I am very fortunate to have an artistic wife that is supportive and excited what I do and willing to be a part of it in her own way. She inspires me and encourages me. Going to the symposiums in Richmond and this year in St. Paul were mind blowing, both with the great variety of pieces shown and even more so with the skill and craftsmanship evident in the work. If I had to measure myself against those very excellent turners ( quite a few being members of this forum) I might get discouraged, but as one of our members very comfortingly said "where we are now is not where we are going to be" Its is a journey, but boy is it fun! Thanks again John and all the rest of you who have responded and shared some of yourselves with the rest of us.