Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to use cedar fencing

How to use cedar fencing

A friend is giving me some unused cedar fence boards. I assume it is not sanded and has lots of knots. Good for a fence.

Has anyone used this wood before for other projects? I have a jointer, flat bed sander, and planes, but not a planer.

Thanks in advance,

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I would definately use it to.........give me a reason to buy a planer.

I have used it to make shoe risers/boxes for a closet. The closet owners have WAYYY too many shoes. Sands up very nice and smooth.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

It should go right through the sander with no problems. I have used both new and used fence boards (the price was right) for a number of projects (I guess to be fair, these were pretty nice boards with few knots and maybe not all fences would be). Maybe some Adirondack chairs?

Bluebird and wood duck nest boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I assume it is not sanded and has lots of knots.
    Mr Kent...

I'd assume it is WRC, being out there on the Left Coast. Could be STK [select tight knot] or #2 - which has more + bigger knots. Could be rough both sides, or surfaced one side. Just depends on the specs for that particular material - all these types can and are used for fencing.

Regardless, you can use it for anything you like.....understand that it is soft, so will get dinged fairly easily and won't take a lot of load without deflection. Also - even with the STK - after you have gotten it to the "final" surface texture, you will want to go through with CA glue and secure the knots then final sand, because they'll be coming out sooner or later.

Have fun.

Kent

Ooops...I've made outdoor stuff...like, window planter boxes. I put "dividers" front-to-back every 24" or so on 72"+/- planters to keep the angled front from bowing out under the pressure [10" high, 7" deep at the bottom, and 9" deep at the top]. I used PT for the bottoms to carry the load. Installed with a PT french cleat underneath, and tapcons through the planter back into the brick. Works great. If you do something like this, and decide to use an outdoor stain....this might seem counterintuitive......make one final pass through your sander or with ROS, and sand it all with 80g. Turns out that it is easy to burnish WRC, and the stain won't absorb well, or will absorb unevenly, so the 80g does a great job of preparing the surface.

Kent
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 07-17-2011 at 6:51 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Brian

I have sanded them down, cut them up, and used them for cooking planks.
    Much cheaper than the 3 for $5 in cooking stores.

I also milled them mildly to create floor and door trim for a cedar closet.

John

John.

Brian, stack and sticker them and let them acclimate in your shop for a couple weeks. I'm going to take part of my fence down soon and will see what I can salvage. I've worked with cedar before. It's very light and machines easily. Do you have a band saw? With fence boards, I'd think about making a blanked chest and lining it with cedar. If not, and you have enough - you could just make it out of solid cedar.

Joint two adjacent edges, mark out a consistent thickness along the edges and go to town with your hand planes.

Oh, and your nose will thank you for working it in your shop.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Great ideas, everybody. John, what is a cooking plank? Is that something that goes in the oven, like on some salmon recipes?

Also, I remembered that I committed to making two owl boxes to attract and next barn owls. That would make a very nice - and free - material.

I love working with cedar. As others have said it is very easy to work with and should you decide to make somenthing nice like a chest, picture frame, etc it finishes very nice. One of the woods that is so easy to get smooth as silk.. I had the opportunity to get some cedar burl one time and it made a very beautiful pen.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Cedar is one of my favorite woods for those quick and dirty projects--shoe racks, boxes---easy stuff you want to knock out in a couple of hours.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Cedar works great for adironack chairs
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Brian

Yes, a cooking plank is a piece of cedar 4" x 12" that is soaked with water and used as surface to cook fish on.
    Planked salmon and whitefish are great.
    Some people use them a single time, I use them 4 or 5 times until the sides get scorched, or they do not clean up.

John

Very good. Thanks.

I used some left over cedar fence pickets to make the ceiling and soffets in my gazebo - stained them with a redwood stain to match the rest of the gazebo.
    http://myweb.cableone.net/bge1/gazebo/ceiling2.jpg
    http://myweb.cableone.net/bge1/gazebo/soffets1.jpg

You could make a fence!

Just mess'in wit ya...