Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand Tool Luthiery

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    We cut the bindings in with simple scratch stocks in the 18th.C. shop. Surprisingly effective way to do it,too. I still have to deepen the areas in the waist of the guitars with a scratch stock after routing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas Baker View Post
    I personally enjoy using hand tools to cut the binding recesses
    I would love to find out more about binding with hand tools - I'd like to try that on my next build but almost all of the information on the internet is devoted to various forms of router jigs, which is a tool that I'm really not keen on introducing to my workshop. Have you any good resources for learning how?

I could post photos of a hand binding cutter I made years ago,and used in the 18th.C. shop for years. My camera doesn't focus reliably no matter what I do,though. I also have molds that might be interesting to builders. I still have a mold of the type that I used to make vaulted back 18th.C. guitars like the marquetry guitar. Maybe my wife can help take some decent pictures with her camera. She is one of those women who is always busy,if I can,I'll get her to help.

It is indeed always great to see how different people have tackled certain problems. A drill press was around the top of my to-buy list, I think it's just gone to the top, along with a couple carefully chosen spokeshaves.

On that note there appears to only be one low-angle spokeshave readily available, the Lee Valley one. Any others I should make note of?

The LV cast aluminum spoke shave is an effective tool,though I could wish it were cast iron. A friend has one.

There's also the LV kit for making wooden spokeshaves, which I believe would be a lower cutting angle, and their are plenty of vintage wooden shaves available, but finding one in decent shape can be a challenge.

If you get a wooden one,promptly inlay a brass wear piece into it just ahead of the cutter. Takes little time to wear a hollow in a wooden spoke shave.

George, I would love to see some pictures of some of your molds and guitar building tools, as well as pictures of the guitars that were built with them!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I could post photos of a hand binding cutter I made years ago,and used in the 18th.C. shop for years. My camera doesn't focus reliably no matter what I do,though. I also have molds that might be interesting to builders. I still have a mold of the type that I used to make vaulted back 18th.C. guitars like the marquetry guitar. Maybe my wife can help take some decent pictures with her camera. She is one of those women who is always busy,if I can,I'll get her to help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas Baker View Post
    George, I would love to see some pictures of some of your molds and guitar building tools, as well as pictures of the guitars that were built with them!
    Seconded! I'd love to see pictures of your luthiery tools & output, George.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    There's also the LV kit for making wooden spokeshaves, which I believe would be a lower cutting angle, and their are plenty of vintage wooden shaves available, but finding one in decent shape can be a challenge.
    I use a Mujingfang wooden spokeshave, and find it quite delightful in use. Carving a neck with it is very therapeutic.