Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time Trials

Ron, I want a Zing like yours! Is it on steroids? I don't cut Birch, but am no where near that
    with Alder or Cherry. Even at 75watts. Both have recent tubes and tested in at 75.
    Is Birch real light and easier to cut?
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I would like to add something to this. There are vector speeds that are controlled through the driver that really do not equate to the number you set. It is controlled by what the MFG determines to be a threshold speed for there motion systems. Example speed 20 is just a number the driver controls. What the vector speeds really are is usually done behind the scenes. The example of Ron's test say alot in the fact that the actual TIME is only three seconds different using a range from 85-100. What this is telling me is there is a max vector speed that is programmed into the driver.

Its not what SPEED # you put into the driver as it is the TIME it takes to cut.

By the way when I have a chance I will run this file using four different era systems all with different powers. Everything from a 10 year old system to a brand new system.
    Last edited by Mike Mackenzie; 07-19-2011 at 6:23 PM. Reason: editing
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

In the cnc router area we all talk inches per minute. Maybe we should put rulers on our beds and make a cross reference chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackenzie View Post
    I would like to add something to this. There are vector speeds that are controlled through the driver that really do not equate to the number you set. It is controlled by what the MFG determines to be a threshold speed for there motion systems. . . . Its not what SPEED # you put into the driver as it is the TIME it takes to cut.
    You are right, Mike, it depends on what the driver does when commanded to cut at a specific speed. In the GCC Mercury, there would be NO difference between 85% speed and 100% speed - in fact, I found out that the Mercury maxes out somewhere around 30-35% speed if I recall correctly. In other words, the GCC driver limits the top vector speed to be around 30% of maximum rated machine speed (that being the raster speed). So any vector speed setting above 35% won't appear to have an effect on job time as internally it is maxed out. Epilogs have a separate vector maximum speed so they will behave differently.

Tom, I only wish we could talk in inches per minute (or inches per second) . But the laser manufacturers generally only talk i.p.s. for rastering and this is a maximum. I am waiting for the day that we can actually input the speed in ips in the driver (rather than as a percentage-speed) like a real machine tool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Hey, Hey Hey....... Some of us take Government work to a whole new level!
    According to my wife, those levels are typically populated by devilish imps and freakish sub-humans.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Craig,
    You have 1/2" BB in your post (2 above) and I think it should be 1/8"/3mm.

Correct 3mm 1/8"
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

There are a number of issues to consider:
    1. If the cut path is optimized from left top to right bottom, it should be faster than right top to to left bottom. I think so because right to left the carriage would have to retrace from the right bottom to the lft top whereas if if cuts from left top to right bottom it would only retrace from mid Y left to top right.
    2. The speed of the carriage movement between cuts is also a factor. This could totally skew the test.

I also don't think that one should do anything special such as cleaning the lenses etc before running the test, the idea is to test the speed in real world conditions rather than ideal conditions. I think that it isn't a speed test, it is more of a general performance benchmark.

I agree with a number of other people:
    1. Use 3mm Perpex.
    2. Cut a square without having the carriage reposition during the cut. (this will prove the cut speed)
    3. One could also check the carrige speed simply by instead of cutting a square in 4 lines, cut only 4 x 2mm circles at the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rumancik View Post
    In the GCC Mercury, there would be NO difference between 85% speed and 100% speed - in fact, I found out that the Mercury maxes out somewhere around 30-35% speed if I recall correctly. In other words, the GCC driver limits the top vector speed to be around 30% of maximum rated machine speed (that being the raster speed). So any vector speed setting above 35% won't appear to have an effect on job time as internally it is maxed out. Epilogs have a separate vector maximum speed so they will behave differently.
    I just ran several copies of the same file. Wrote down the times
    50 speed 4:19
    30 speed 4:20
    20 speed 4:20
    15 speed 4:11
    10 speed 4:26

no apparent difference in the cutting, either. Once I get down below 10, it slows down and
    there's a noticeable difference in the cutting. This is on a 30w Mercury

I am really frustrated with this post and some of the ones I have read lately....It is very interesting that some one can post something (in this case me) and so many people can give their 2 cents worth (you and that is what we want) but so many do not stay on topic. This post was done for one reason and one reason only to get all of us that cut allot of Baltic Birch on some what of the same page with out making it some scientific process. Yes it is not a perfect test by any means but as you have read in this post everyone has an opinion on how the test should be done so what is the correct answer? There is none. So I asked for some simple information from those that want to share their settings and some have, but most of you went off topic or wanted to change the request to what you wanted to see happen start a new post it free.

I have been here for a short time (and probably just wore out my welcome) and I have noticed that as every forum you go to, That there is always a select few that always has to have an opinion on every topic and half the time the post is irrelevant to the original topic (you know who you are). The idea behind this forum is to help others not hear yourself type and try to be funny.

I will step down off my soap box and if I offended you then sorry but I believe this needed to be said.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    there is always a select few
    ...and I haven't even thrown in my nonsensical logic.

I think part of the problem is that whatever information is gathered and surmised as fact will, in time, be falsely perceived as fact by future readers of this thread. The regulars you mention are just trying to approach it from the best possible angle to achieve the best possible results.

In a nutshell, if enough people posted their results using various materials, machines and settings. I'm talking thousands. We'd be able to apply some math and generate a power/speed/freq curve that we could use as a base. That would be about it. A base.

My 2 cents.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

This is a public participation forum and you really have no right to dictate the terms of an answer or who should answer. Your attitude in this post leaves much to be desired in my opinion , others are not trying to derail your thread , they are trying to help , not hinder you.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I must point out that I only put in 2c ZAR which equates to only 0.00291226 US Dollars. I would have liked to put in 2c USD but that is far too rich for my blood.

I like to sing in the shower. Sorry for straying, just thoughts I put in my 2 pence, yes that's right pence!
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post

I have been here for a short time (and probably just wore out my welcome) and I have noticed that as every forum you go to, That there is always a select few that always has to have an opinion on every topic and half the time the post is irrelevant to the original topic (you know who you are). The idea behind this forum is to help others not hear yourself type and try to be funny.
    Is this your first time visiting a forum, Sparky?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Hill View Post
    I must point out that I only put in 2c ZAR which equates to only 0.00291226 US Dollars. I would have liked to put in 2c USD but that is far too rich for my blood.
    And your contribution is highly appreciated! Thank you!

<<I like to sing in the shower.>>

Not me. We have two dogs, and they like to join in. Problem is the wife says she can't tell the difference between the dogs howls and mine. Pretty humbling, actually.
    40 watt Full Spectrum Engineering laser. Two hobby CNC carving machines (CarveWright). Shop full of loud and noisy stuff to turn large expensive materials into cheap splinters and dust.