Thread: Clear Coat ove Oil Based Paint

Clear Coat ove Oil Based Paint

What kind of a clear coat can I put over oil based paint?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Varnish ...

Why are you wanting a clear coat? The oil based paint is essentially an oil based alkyd varnish with pigment added.

If you are wanting a higher gloss then you need to allow the paint to completely cure; about 30 days or until you can no longer smell the finish. Then a clear coat can be added.

A water-borne acrylic will impart little to no color shift.

Most varnishes will impart an amber color. Poly will produce more yellowing than an alkyd resin varnish. e.g. Pratt & Lambert #38 or Sherwin Williams Classic Fast Dry Oil varnish.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I was just looking for a little more protection but I think I'll forgo it. I'm hoping to have this assembled and playable in a week or so, I don't want to wait 30 days!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Besides, paint is generally more protective than the clear coat. In addition, if you do need to make a repair down the road, it will be a lot easier to do with just paint.