Thread: Engraving on Ivory

Engraving on Ivory

Here's my first attempt at engraving on Elephant Ivory. The piece was 1.5" X 2.25" and less than a 16th thick. I didn't use Photograv, only PhotoPaint. Anybody tried photos? Ivory cameos used to be popular, but they were sculpted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ray Mighells Killbuck NY
    Nice Wood For Laser
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=155

Ray that turned out very well, but I think it would have been even better with an image processed through photograv. This stuff actually does cut fairly well but I never had the opportunity to use a piece this large so I'd have to say no. If you took the piece and rubbed it on some wet and dry the ivory will smooth out a lot more and make things much easier for you too, it wouldn't take too much from that point to buff it to a high finish.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Ray

I thought I had posted earlier but was thinking of Frank and his talents for this at the time. I would suggest engraving at a higher dpi but what brought Frank to mind was his skill at converting photos to line art and how this might look as a lasered "scrimshaw" piece.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi Guys;
    I don't know if I mentioned this before but Photoshop has a bunch of plugins under Flaming Pear-one of them is called India Ink which seems to work about the same as Photograv-try it
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    *twin 80 watt Shenhui 1280
    *60 watt Laserpro Mercury -42ips
    *(2) 30 watt Laserpro Venus-42 ips
    *whole bunch of woodworking/metalworking machines
    *128 screwdrivers (all needed)
    *wonderful wife (1st) of 53 years who allows me to collect screwdrivers

I normally do line art on ivory and color fill, but decided to try my test photo. I did one test with PS greyscale (Stucki) and one with Photograv. I found that if you lower the power you get a lighter brown line, but more detail, whereas my usual settings for lines just made a black blob.

This ivory is 1" piano key ivory.

cheers, dee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee,
    Which one is which?
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Sorry Greg, the one on the left is the PhotoShop image and the one on the right is the PhotoGrav image. The settings are scribbled on the sides.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Sorry Greg, the one on the left is the PhotoShop image and the one on the right is the PhotoGrav image. The settings are scribbled on the sides.
    And the winner is...PHOTOSHOP! (Gold method, or ???)
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

This image was "fixed" before Frank's Gold method came along, so it's just my own cleanup of background, play with contrast/highlights/shadow, etc. I took the same image and processed it through PG. But I now use this image for all substrate tests so I have perspective on what will happen using a specific starting point. Too many variables makes a bad test. This kid is the grandson of a friend and he's probably in 4th grade by now!

I think the PS version is better too, even though you don't get the black-blacks.

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post

Okay Dee - thanks - nice work!
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.