Thread: Spraying Minwax Water Base Oil Modified Polyurethane

Spraying Minwax Water Base Oil Modified Polyurethane

Hi,
    I just ordered a Earlex HV5500 spray station and want to spray Minwax Water Base Oil Modified polyurethane over a cabinet that I stained with Varathane Red Mahogany with it. Do I need to thin this polyurethane a little or can I spray it straight out of the can. I intend to use the 1.5 mm tip to spray.
    TIA
    Mike

you need to measure the viscosity. viscosity will determine if it needs to thinned or not. based on my experience with the hv5000 and waterborne (target coatings) the 1.5mm tip should spray well. if the viscosity is similar to that of water try spraying with some water to see how the 1.5mm tip works. the 1mm tip could probably be used with better control if the minwax has near the same viscosity of water.

The instruction manual for that sprayer says that it comes with a cup for measuring the finish viscosity. You measure it, and if necessary thin it to meet Earlex's spec.

Thanks guys. I read the manual but have not received the Earlex yet so I can't measure the viscosity. I guess I'll find out next week.
    Mike

Thee 5500 puts out 42 cfm where the older model 5000 only put out 24 cfm. Its quite an improvement and frankly I thin less with it! I think most Minwax products are thinned enough for the general public to use so they should spray fairly easily. I not only finish my custom furniture/cabinetry with the 5500 I also used it to paint the out side of my house!

Read the directions on the water-borne finish; most can't be thinned more than 5-10%. Over thinning will cause problems.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nguyen View Post
    Hi,
    I just ordered a Earlex HV5500 spray station and want to spray Minwax Water Base Oil Modified polyurethane over a cabinet that I stained with Varathane Red Mahogany with it. Do I need to thin this polyurethane a little or can I spray it straight out of the can. I intend to use the 1.5 mm tip to spray.
    TIA
    Mike
    Mike I know this old info however I wanted to know what were your results with spraying the Minwax oil Modified Polyurethane with the Earlex 5500 I have the same one, did you have to thin it? Lane,

That particular finish is, unless something has changed, intended for use on floors and it quite viscous since it's normally applied with a pad for a very thick, two or three coat floor finish. Yes, you can thin it, but you have to be very careful with that because like any waterborne finish, the water is only the carrier. Overthinking spreads the finish out too much and the result is not pleasant. If you want a similar finish to spray, Target Coatings EM2000 is a good alternative and it's designed to be sprayed.

I used the Minwax oil modified product on the wide pine floors at our previous property and was very pleased with it. But again, that was hand applied by pouring and spreading with a pad.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

THanks Jim, for the quick reply.
    I will have to give this some more thought.

Lane,

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That particular finish is, unless something has changed, intended for use on floors and it quite viscous since it's normally applied with a pad for a very thick, two or three coat floor finish. Yes, you can thin it, but you have to be very careful with that because like any waterborne finish, the water is only the carrier. Overthinking spreads the finish out too much and the result is not pleasant. If you want a similar finish to spray, Target Coatings EM2000 is a good alternative and it's designed to be sprayed.

I used the Minwax oil modified product on the wide pine floors at our previous property and was very pleased with it. But again, that was hand applied by pouring and spreading with a pad.

If this is the product you are using, it's pretty low viscosity, nothing like a typical OB product.

The data sheet shows it has a viscosity of 50 - 90 centipoise, which is 22 - 32 seconds through a #4 Ford Cup, which many of us use, and that's really low, so low that you probably could use a 1.0 mm nozzle. If all you have is a 1.5 mm nozzle, you'll just have to turn the fluid flow down some to get a good pattern. I've never sprayed this stuff, but I bet it will spray great, and you definitely won't need to thin it.

John

That appears to be a different version than I have experience with, John, and I agree that it likely will spray well. I don't recall that being on the shelf "back then", but I wouldn't have been looking for it at the time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...