Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAWSTOP Industrial vs UNISAW - Sliders Excluded

I have owned both and I prefer the SS for the safety aspect (in fact, I sold the Unisaw to buy the SS). I am tall (6'5") and any geometry difference is unnoticed by me. I am actually thinking of buying an older cheap Unisaw again and dedicating it solely to dadoing and use the SS for all other operations. Relatively, dadoing is a pretty safe operation and IMO doesn't really require the SS safety feature.....a dedicated Unisaw would avoid having to change the blades and cartridge in the SS every time I want to do a dado. My $0.02 bob

I will remind everyone .....political statements, comments, debates or discussions are not allowed here. Please refrain from doing same.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Aww... C'mon Ken. You gotta admit that was a good one.

I bought the SS for two reasons. First is safety. Are you really willing to risk a finger for the dollar difference or the other minor operational differences? NOBODY intends to have the accident, EVERYBODY swears they will pay attention so it doesn't happen to them, but a lot of woodworkers are a digit short on their hands.
    Second, I wanted to use the Incra fence, and they sell the SS ala carte, so you can buy everything except the SS fence and buy the Incra fence separately. I LOVE the Incra fence. Take a look at it before you decide. By the way, I've used Delta, Jet and Powermatic and I'll put the SS Industrial against any one of them for quality and accuracy.

How do people get their fingers near the blade?

Our woodworking school is forced to replaced all 10 delta unisaws and replaced with sawstop.

Due to liability issue.

Most of the instructors don't care for its brake technology, but we all love the riving knife
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-22-2011 at 9:35 PM.

I have had a SawStop ICS for quite some time--actually, since before it was called the ICS, since it was the only saw that they were selling. I bought it for the safety features, namely the brake and riving knife, and I have been very pleased with the performance and build.

However, everyone weighs features differently. For me, while the PM2000 and the New Uni are nice machines, I would not have spent the money for them, as you can find a nice Grizzly with a riving knife that will get the job done for much less. For me, the blade brake technology was the deciding factor, and it was something I can't get on another saw. I would suggest you consider what the features are worth to you, and pull the trigger. No one else can make that decision for you. Either way, you'll have a great saw, I have no doubt.

Good luck.

There was a sawstop on the local CL around here for $1800 - seemed like a great deal to me.

JT

While I don't care for the methods the SawStop inventor is using to try to advance his invention, I do like the machines. The SawStop is a well reviewed saw, and in every way the equal to, or superior of the new UniSaw. With the minor differences in price, if it were me, I would go with the SawStop...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

For the OP, I noticed during my lunchtime Houston Craiglist perusal that there is a brand-new 5 hp Unisaw for sale with a "make offer" price:

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/2500198197.html

I have an older 52" Unisaw, which I love, but if I were in the same position today I would probably go with a Sawstop, purely on the basis of safety.

IMG_20110723_131552.jpg

Here's a cheesy shot of the sawstop trunion I took on saturday at the vegas AWFS show.

I video taped their brake firing demo. It scared the crap out of me because I was right next to the operator and it sounds like somebody takes a sledge hammer and whacks your saw table.

I learned that Sawstop is developing a slider that has new brake technology that saves the blade.

The downside is it will probably be 2013 before it hits the streets...

As much as I love the sawstop, I say get the Unisaw "if" you want simplistic heavy duty design. The sawstop risks mis-fires and is seemingly more complicated and might not be the same saw in 10-20 years where I suspect the unisaw will be the same in 10-20 years. Only time will tell though...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Tim, as Cary has said, this isn't the old Delta company, it's a new mostly offshore endeavour.

Regards, Rod.
    Hold it, guys.. This saw was designed by the old company and the new company hasn't been in place long enough to make "improvements".

I bought one of the new Unis when they first came out and they're a heckuva saw. Your point on new owners will be key on my concerns for new models but for established models, in the short term, I don't see it as an issue.

I have nothing bad to say about the SawStop either.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    Hold it, guys.. This saw was designed by the old company and the new company hasn't been in place long enough to make "improvements".

I bought one of the new Unis when they first came out and they're a heckuva saw. Your point on new owners will be key on my concerns for new models but for established models, in the short term, I don't see it as an issue.

I have nothing bad to say about the SawStop either.
    Jim,
    My comment was mainly concerning parts availability. People are always concerned if you will be able to get brakes down the road. Delta has been bought and sold so many times and recently sold to an Asian company that it is anybody's guess how long parts will be available.
    Cary

I have worked part time at a Woodcraft store for a few years now. We've had a SS - ICS and the Unisaw on our floor ever since they hit the market, and the store workshop has an ICS that I have used a good bit.

The SS fence is great, but as stated previously the fence faces are lousy. Be prepare to fiddle with them....a lot. Also, as the pad on the underside of the fence wears it WILL put permanent streaks across the cast iron top. Doesn't noticeably dig in, but I recently had a customer who wasn't thrilled with this. SS cannot be turned back on while the blade is coasting down. You HAVE to wait until it stops before restarting. Also, you can only use a 10" blade. Sounds odd to be a downside, but there can be clear benefits to using smaller blades for certain specialty cutting processes.

I really like the engineering changes on the Unisaw. The front lever to adjust the riving knife, more table in front of the blade, and front mounted wheels...all good stuff. The fence deflects quite easily, and this is a clear weakness on the Uni. Plus, if I recall correctly, the Beisemeyer fence can't be adjusted for squareness to the table, only parallel to the slot/blade.

As for angle setting accuracy on either saw, I always use a digital angle gauge now so it's not much of a consideration.

I am a big fan of high quality blade guards. I think both the SS and Uni have done a nice job in this department.

Overall, I don't think you'd be disappointed with either.

Hutch

P.S. From a safety standpoint, I wish I could have a brake on my current old style Unisaw when using a dado blade. A stacked dado set is a meat grinder. If anything touches it, it's gone....period.

Sliders excluded, huh? Too bad.

If safety is a major consideration (as it always should be), sliders are inherently safer to use vs a standard cabinet saw. And no 'destroy the blade' brake needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I don't have a dog in this fight either way but here are my thoughts.
    1.5" height difference is easily made up with a platform between the saw and mobile base.
    The angle gauge of the Delta is only accurate to a 1/10 of a degree. I don't have the Delta but I never use the gauge on mine.
    Delta has and the Unisaw has been around for a long time but the new Unisaw is a new design. Delta just got sold off. I would consider this a wash.

Both are nice saws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I have a Sawstop.

IMHO, the ergomic advantages of the Unisaw are minor compared to the safety and dc advantages of the Sawstop.
    +1 for both of these replies. Yes, I am the owner of a SawStop and I think it's a great saw. I wouldn't recommend anything else.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps