Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HVLP - Wagner or Porter Cable?

Question HVLP - Wagner or Porter Cable?

I'm about to purchase an HVLP gun, mostly to be used for spraying water base poly, and occasionally Fuhr tinted finises. I won't be using this gun heavily. I have a 4hp, 16 gal compressor. Anyway, I was content with buying the Wagner gun after reading Jim B.'s excellent review (BTW, awesome website, Jim).

Meanwhile, I came across the Porter Cable HVLP gravity feed gun. The P-C gun is half the price, and I like the idea of gravity feed better. So now I'm leaning toward the PC gun.

As I read more about it, I noticed it only comes with one nozzle/tip. Do most people buy another size to go with it? Or is this not needed for spraying the typical wood finishes?

Is the PC gun small enough to easily spray inside cabinets? Is the cup too small to where you have to stop and fill it frequently? Can the PC gun be used with a pot, should I decide to upgrade?

Unless I hear a lot of negatives, I think I'll be buying the PC gun.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

P-C gun

Hi Scott

I have the P-C, have no experience with the Wagner. I've had no problems with mine. I did purchase a larger tip. The gun comes with a 1.5 mm tip, a 2 mm or 2.2 mm is recommended for heavier finishes. I asked at the P-C service center about pressure pots, they didn't recommend it. I've thought about getting a smaller cup to help with interior spraying but can't find a small cup with the same fitting size as the 600 ml. cup. I've also considered using a gravity feed setup but that'd mean 2 hoses(air & fluid) not running parallel and would probably be awkward.

The P-C gun doesn't use that much air; a C-H compressor rated at 8 CFM@40 psi and 11 gallon tank keeps up nicely. Perhaps the most compelling advantage of gravity feed HVLP guns aside from the lack of overspray is that they're very easy to clean up. Cleaning up the hopper takes longer than cleaning the gun.

HTH

Curt

I have the PC model PSH-1. I just finished my first project with it and have never used anything else so my comments are definitely not comparative.

It only comes with one tip that did a nice job spraying Fuhr 9100 water based acrylic paint. I imagine it will also spray thin fninshes very well. The included tip does not spray latex paints well at all. I bought a second tip (2.2mm) from Amazon and it sprayed latex much better. The second tip was $24.99. I don't know how many tips the Wagner comes with but it might make the cost even if you are going to get an assortment of tips.

The manual does not indicate whether a pot could be attached but I have my doubts. As far as the cup goes, I didn't find it too small but I was painting small parts and had time between each one to refill if needed. The gun itself is a pretty tall unit once assembled(approx 12"), it could make painting inside shelves a bit difficult but cabinets would probably be fine.

For my limited use I liked the PC a lot. I'm only comparing to finishing by hand though. Hopefully someone out there has used both and can give a little better comparison.

One of the advantages to the Wagner gun is that you can convert it to an external cup for easier access in tight spaces. You really have to keep a gravity gun "upright" for the most part, but even in the standard configuration for the Wagner gun, you can safely move it around when you need to.

As to the projector sets, I still have just the standard #3 on my Wagner, but when I order the external 2 gt cup/conversion kit from Nathan I may also order the other projector sets just to have them. To date, I haven't felt a need for them since the range of finishes I spray is limited to just a few products.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think I'm swaying further to the PC gun. The price is great, and also you can get a metal 20 oz. cup for $15. What size is the plastic cup that comes with it? Big enough to spray a few doors without refilling? The pot idea is nice, but not a needed feature for me. It sounds like I don't need the bigger tips, because I probably won't be spraying thicker paint.
    Thanks for the help.

PC gun

Well, I pulled the trigger (punny, huh?) and bought the Porter Cable PSH1. Amazon- $69.99 with free shipping!

Scott, nice choice! I read Jim's review as well, but only after I had purchased the PC. I wouldn't second guess getting this gun one bit. The only problem I ever had was that I burned through two of their plastic cups. I mostly spray lacquer, thinned ever so slightly. Anyway, the lacquer ruined the two lids over time. I'm sure it's more a user problem than a PC problem. Regardless, I ended up getting a stainless cup from our local Harbor Freight. It's a ton better than the cup that comes with the gun and I recommend it as a replacement.

My next gun will most likely be part of a system like the Accuspray system that Jeff Jewitt sells. Until then, the PC does a great job. I'm sure you'll like it a lot. Enjoy!

I have three of those guns. Would buy again. Had one cap break, but was replaced by the repair center at no charge.

A small city West of New Orleans call Westwego, Louisiana
    Jason you said you got a replacement stainless cup for your PC gun from HF, haven't burned thru my original but would like to have the stainless. What were they selling for if you don't mind.
    Pete-- Deep in Cajun Country
    One Nation-- "Under GOD"

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...vingplane1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    I have three of those guns. Would buy again. Had one cap break, but was replaced by the repair center at no charge.
    Steve, did you write one of the reviews on Amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parks
    Steve, did you write one of the reviews on Amazon?
    Sure did. I had forgotten about that. Lol.
    Hey. On the harbor freight can, it's twice as big as the pc can. I thought about one, but decided it would be too ackward? for inside on cabinets.
    Got a friend that got one, and he's decided it was a mistake. It makes it real top heavy with the extra capacity, and makes your arm tired.
    With the standard cup, you can spray a lot of doors before refilling.

Scott,

I have experience with both guns. I borrowed the Wagner from a buddy around the corner and purch the PC for myself.

Both of us prefer the PC. The needle kids are cheaper, the gun is cheaper, and it's easier to clean.

The gravity feed style is easier to tear down and clean. This especially handy if you're shooting paint as well as other finishes. The Wagner gun is MUCH harder to clean...

Good luck w/ your choice.

Tks
    Joe in Tampa....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rosenbohm
    Jason you said you got a replacement stainless cup for your PC gun from HF, haven't burned thru my original but would like to have the stainless. What were they selling for if you don't mind.
    Pete, I don't recall how much it was. I may be in left field, but somewhere around $15. Not a bank buster, that's for sure.

But what can one of these spray?

I'm pretty clear that either of these HVLP guns will shoot clear finishes with few problems, but what about other types of finish, such as urethane paints like automotive finishes? I'd like to buy one of these as well and use for finishing wood projects, but I have several metal projects that need to be repainted. I guess I'm really asking if you can spray automotive finishes with these guns?

Thanks,

Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Elam
    I'm pretty clear that either of these HVLP guns will shoot clear finishes with few problems, but what about other types of finish, such as urethane paints like automotive finishes? I'd like to buy one of these as well and use for finishing wood projects, but I have several metal projects that need to be repainted. I guess I'm really asking if you can spray automotive finishes with these guns?

Thanks,

Mickey
    It all depends on the type of finish and temperature, humidity.
    I spray mostly oil based stains and lacquer. I Have to thin the lacquer this time of the year, even if I maintain 70 degrees in my spray room.
    Water based poly has to be thinned regardless of the tempertature, as it's heavier.
    I would say auto paint would need to be thinned also.
    If you don't get your mixture thin enough on any product, it simply won't come out of the gun enough to get a good spray job.
    I run 20#'s of air pressure, not the 10#'s they recommend.
    I also removed the regulator on these guns, and rely on a wall mounted unit. Makes the gun less wieldy, easier to move around when spraying inside of cabinets. If I take the gun to a jobsite, I put the regulator back on.
    I run a water filter right on the gun also.