Thread: bottle stopper help

bottle stopper help

Picture.jpg

I am new to turning bottle toppers have only turned two others that you dont see I would like to sell some of these .I am wondering what kind of finsh I should use. the ones pictured are just coated with bees wax but Im wondering if I should use something a little more durable????

Robert,

I typically use BLO to pop the grain....friction on a coat or two of dewaxed shellac and follow that with a couple coats of frictioned Deft brushing Lacquer. The solvent for shellac is alcohol so to prevent any wine from disturbing the finish, I use a final finish of lacquer. The dewaxed shellac will prevent the BLO from keeping the lacquer from adhering properly.

Once you get it down pat, I can finish a bottle stopper in 4 or 5 minutes and when the stopper comes off the lathe, it's a matter of assembling it and it's done.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I think tat I will try your method Ken.
    I have been using the four step friction polish system, but worry about how they are holding up.
    Have you tried your way on larger items like pepper mills?

Jerry

Jerry....Yes I have used it on pepper mills and on small bowls too.

For bowls I typically will use Antique Oil. I do the Antique oil off the lathe after bowl is completely finished.

Really......I believe the friction polish is a shellac and wax mixture.

It's important to point out I use "dewaxed" shellac as a barrier between oils and anything else over it.....anything will stick to dewaxed shellac.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken I think I will give that a try I typicaly like a nautral finish but Am conserned how that will hold up.... I have to as is there a acholol that you prfer for disoliving flakes i have seen a couple that are advertived as being better for the job?

Robert, I use Hut Crystal coat on my bottle stoppers. It is quick and easy to apply and is a very hard finish.
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Remember that stoppers can and will sit in the fridge for whatever length of time. CA is on all of mine and not one customer has ever complained...nor have I, there is one on a champagne bottle in the fridge as we speak. Choice of wood, given the possibilities of use plays a part as well.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Jim I thought about CA briefly I have never used it though, and wouldnt even know what to buy.I went to a woodcraft store once and asked a sales rep about how to use it as a finish he had no idea so I havent bought or thought about it a whole lot i would like to try it but am clueless....

I don't turn bottle stoppers, yet, but I have turned several pens and I CA all of them. I use Hot Stuff Med CA from Woodcraft. With the pen (bottlestopper) turning I first wipe on a coat of dewaxed Shellac. I use a spray shellac becasue that is what I bought, but I spray it on a paper towel and wipe it on. Give that some time to dry........ding ready. Then I will get a small piece of paper towel and fold it to about 1"x2" w/ a couple of layers under it. Again with the lathe spinning hold your towel under the piece lightly touching and drip the CA on. Move you towel back an forth to smear. Do this until the entire piece is coated....2-3 drops should do. Dont rub the towl on to long becasue it will stick. Let it dry hit very lightly w/ 400 or 600 grit, just to scuff it, and apply a couple more coats. From here I still vary as I am looking for the best finish. On some I friction polish a few coats on and some I just MM to 12000 or until you get the sheen your after.

Again this is how I do it and I am still learning new ways. Check out capn'eddie on youtube. He has a vdeo showing how he CA's. Best of luck.

.......ohh yea. Those Bottle stoppers are awesome. Great job. Really like the 2 in the middle on bottom. What type of wood is that?
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

Try UBeaut Shellawax.
    It's perfect for turnings this small.
    It's applied on the lathe; just a little bit will do; several coats gives you a nice shiny finish.

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

Chris that wood is the first is thuya burl the second is Jobillo both woods turn pretty nice. the top row is mahogony and the first one in the second row is cocobolo thanks for the c/c

Well that sucks Robert!! There are a lot of good vid's on Youtube on applying CA...usually on pens. Just do the same thing except bigger! HobbyLobby and Michaels also carry CA. Easy to make a build up finish that will stand up to anything. I sold 6 pens last week...all asked to have a CA finish based on previous experience...we get alcohol hand rub on everything!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I use CA also, after learning on pens, I started using it on bottle stippers.

I put a couple of coats of shellac and then friction on lacquer. Never had a complaint.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Baker View Post
    I use CA also, after learning on pens, I started using it on bottle stippers.
    +1 for using CA.

"The best things in life are not things."