Thread: Ulmia Plow

Ulmia Plow

I bought this Ulmia plow plane 20 years ago and use it for grooves. It does the job. The Veritas plow look nice but I have yet to need it.
    ulmia.jpgdovetails.jpghalf lap.jpggood fit.jpg

Wow! What a mash-up of a plane! I thoroughly enjoy my LV, but would also like to get a plane (or better a pair) of planes set up for drawers.

And nice looking drawer!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    +1 on "nice looking drawer," Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    I bought this Ulmia plow plane 20 years ago and use it for grooves. It does the job. The Veritas plow look nice but I have yet to need it.
    No reason to buy if there is no need.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Wow! What a mash-up of a plane! I thoroughly enjoy my LV, but would also like to get a plane (or better a pair) of planes set up for drawers.

And nice looking drawer!
    I like my #50 for drawers and boxes. Though it isn't able to do left handed work.

Sometimes it is nice to have a left hand plane when the grain seems to be going the other way:

#45 Lefty.jpg

The Stanley #45 can be set up so the fence can be used on either side. It can be cumbersome.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Plowing grooves is probably the easiest of jobs for a molding plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    +1 on "nice looking drawer," Mark.

No reason to buy if there is no need.

I like my #50 for drawers and boxes. Though it isn't able to do left handed work.

Sometimes it is nice to have a left hand plane when the grain seems to be going the other way:

#45 Lefty.jpg

The Stanley #45 can be set up so the fence can be used on either side. It can be cumbersome.

jtk
    Yes Jim, it is nice to have a plane that can go in the opposite direction when the grain creates problems. I have a Stanley 46 which I rarely use, but it looks like the rods can be switched to change direction. I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Plowing grooves is probably the easiest of jobs for a molding plane.
    I agree Tom!

Nice looking plow pane. You bought it twenty years ago? I looked online to see if they are still available but didn't find any. Seems it may no long be made.

"It does the job" - does it do it well? Do you enjoy using it?

I found myself also wanting dedicated ploughing planes for drawers so I decided to make one. Not hard at all. I used a 1/4 inch blade from LV plow plane and then just used the design from wood by wright. Took less than an afternoon and now I have a dedicated 1/4 by 1/4 drawer bottom plane. Cost less than 30 bucks including the blade. I know that others have used a 1/4 chisel as their basis but I had that 1/4 inch blade already. So I’m cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Nice looking plow pane. You bought it twenty years ago? I looked online to see if they are still available but didn't find any. Seems it may no long be made.

"It does the job" - does it do it well? Do you enjoy using it?
    Yes Mark, about 20 years ago. I think the original ULMIA company shut down and was later bought out by someone else. It seems they have a very limited line. I think it does the job reasonably well, some flex to the fence, a bit bulky and a little more work to set the iron with hammer taps. The wood body adds some "warmth" to the plane, which is nice for a Neanderthal.

ulmia 1.jpgUlmia 2.jpgUlmia 3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cargnelli View Post
    I found myself also wanting dedicated ploughing planes for drawers so I decided to make one. Not hard at all. I used a 1/4 inch blade from LV plow plane and then just used the design from wood by wright. Took less than an afternoon and now I have a dedicated 1/4 by 1/4 drawer bottom plane. Cost less than 30 bucks including the blade. I know that others have used a 1/4 chisel as their basis but I had that 1/4 inch blade already. So I’m cheap.
    Good idea Brian.

My favorite grooving planes are the ones with fixed built in fence and a metal skate. The disadvantage is there is only one spacing from the edge, but I have one I narrowed the iron to fit 1/4" plywood, and if the distance from the edge fits, it gets used. I don't know what they go for these days, but there used to be plenty available for around 15 bucks.