Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Penny For Your Thoughts

Red face A Penny For Your Thoughts

A number of years ago I built a New Yankee Workshop router table and mounted my existing DeWalt 625 plunge router in it. It has worked fine and I have no problems with it other than the fact that I have to either pull it and the plate up from the top or get under the top to make adjustments and change bits. I have learned to work around this. The thing that bugs me most is when I need a hand held router for a particular job and have to dismount the DeWalt router for this purpose. I have decided to buy another router to circumvent this problem and this is where my quandary comes in. Do I buy another router for under the table use and then use my DeWalt 625 as my hand held router or would it be better to leave the DeWalt under the table and buy a second router for use as a hand held.

Your thoughts would be appreciated and if you could make a recommendation for a second router that would be great too.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Blog Entries
    Might be a good time to try the Koolaid Gordon.

I dont own any of their tools but ....

You owe me a penney.

PHM

Gordon,
    Sounds like your table would be better with a router that you could do above-table adjustments. I actually built a lift into my table (tossed the mounting plate).

-Brian

Blog Entries
    It all depends on what you plan to do and how much you want to spend. If your going to get a lift, I would look for a compatible router that makes it easy to install and use the DW "out of table". If you are going to keep doing what you are doing, buy an "out of table" router or two.

I don't have a lift and have a Freud mounted in my table and have to lift it out for bit changes and large adjustments. However, i have 6 other routers that will never be mounted in the table. Two (and possible the third) are dedicated to dovetails, two are hand helds (Colt and DW611) and one is an all-purpose plunge.

I would buy a new router with above the table adjustment for your router table.

Also, there's no rule saying that a router table plate can't be used for handheld routing. If the bit i need is chucked up and adjusted in my router table, i just pull it out router and plate and use it as is.

FWIW, for me anyway, I don't so much mind pulling the motor to swap bits. But I may be a bit odd on that... I can see where above the table adjustments and bit changes could be nice. Just not necessary for me is all... I would probably opt for a router designed for above table adjustment and bit changes, and keep the Dewalt for hand held use... Either that, or swap the router plate for a router lift that serves that function.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

It sounds like you are tired of the inconvenience of below table bit adjustments and pulling the router for hand held use. It all depends on what you want to spend, but a nice router lift and the PC7518 would solve all of your problems. But some routers (the Triton comes to mind) are designed to be mounted to a plate for above table bit adjustment. This would be cheaper option.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Might be a good time to try the Koolaid Gordon.

I dont own any of their tools but ....

You owe me a penney.

PHM
    Send me a postage paid envelope and I will return the penny by return mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    Gordon,
    Sounds like your table would be better with a router that you could do above-table adjustments. I actually built a lift into my table (tossed the mounting plate).

-Brian
    No question Brian it would be better if I could do above table adjustments but this is just not in the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    It all depends on what you plan to do and how much you want to spend. If your going to get a lift, I would look for a compatible router that makes it easy to install and use the DW "out of table". If you are going to keep doing what you are doing, buy an "out of table" router or two.

I don't have a lift and have a Freud mounted in my table and have to lift it out for bit changes and large adjustments. However, i have 6 other routers that will never be mounted in the table. Two (and possible the third) are dedicated to dovetails, two are hand helds (Colt and DW611) and one is an all-purpose plunge.
    No plans to get a lift Jim. I could afford one but that money would be better spent elsewhere IMO. I am a hobbyist at woodworking and just make things for self and family. Sounds like you would suggest buying a router for my hand held tasks. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I would buy a new router with above the table adjustment for your router table.

Also, there's no rule saying that a router table plate can't be used for handheld routing. If the bit i need is chucked up and adjusted in my router table, i just pull it out router and plate and use it as is.
    Yikes Johnny, I can't imagine using a router with a big plate attached.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    FWIW, for me anyway, I don't so much mind pulling the motor to swap bits. But I may be a bit odd on that... I can see where above the table adjustments and bit changes could be nice. Just not necessary for me is all... I would probably opt for a router designed for above table adjustment and bit changes, and keep the Dewalt for hand held use... Either that, or swap the router plate for a router lift that serves that function.
    Thanks David, your suggestion is a good one. As mentioned above, I do not plan to buy a router lift but will look into one with above table adjustment and consider that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bin View Post
    It sounds like you are tired of the inconvenience of below table bit adjustments and pulling the router for hand held use. It all depends on what you want to spend, but a nice router lift and the PC7518 would solve all of your problems. But some routers (the Triton comes to mind) are designed to be mounted to a plate for above table bit adjustment. This would be cheaper option.
    Thanks Todd, I will look at the Triton as a possibility.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I bought a 2-1/4hp Triton thinking that if it didn't meet my needs I'd replace it with a PC7518 and Woodpeckers lift. The Triton has been just fine so far for everything I've needed to do and is my permanent table router unless I start raising panels regularly. The precision of height adjustment is sufficient for me and the one-wrench above-table bit changes are fantastic.

Gordon, I did exactly what you did, but I later added a router lift. Still felt the need for a second router and bought the DW618 kit, it came with a fixed base and a plunge base, and I later got D handle base. It has worked very well for me.

Alan

i also have the 2.25 hp triton its perfect but i use a shaper on the raised panels you can send me my penny through paypal

Thanks for this thread, Gordon. And thanks to Victor for your reply.

I currently have a Bosch 1617EVS mounted in the side extension table of my old Unisaw. I got all excited about the Triton MOF001KC 2-1/4 HP when it came up for sale and having a rather large credit at Woodcraft, I bought it. I tried using the Triton for a couple hand-held jobs but found it heavy and awkward (more so than the Bosch, anyway) and didn't like the lack of soft start. So I put the Triton in storage until I get time to swap them out...I may need a new plate for the extension, but that's pretty cheap, I think.

Because the extension table of the saw is currently a storage platform (as I work on landscaping and such other tasks set forth by SWMBO), I haven't yet got around to making the swap. But on the to-do list is a white oak mantle for the fireplace and I will surely want BOTH routers working then, eh?

Don't need a penny... this thread is worth a nickel.

I didn't read all the other reply's, but here is my answer.

Buy a palm router. you won't regret it.

Since it sounds like you are satisfied with your current table set up, leave it alone.

I've got 2 big routers, a small old craftsman router, and a palm router.

I love my little ridgid router.
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

Gordon.... I would vote for a Triton in the table if you like using your DeWalt handheld. BUT, if the DeWalt will stay in the table and you end up shopping for a basic handheld, I thought I'd point out that Grizzly has the Porter-Cable 690 router on sale for $90. http://www.grizzly.com/products/690L...-Router/T22091