Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Penny For Your Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    I bought a 2-1/4hp Triton thinking that if it didn't meet my needs I'd replace it with a PC7518 and Woodpeckers lift. The Triton has been just fine so far for everything I've needed to do and is my permanent table router unless I start raising panels regularly. The precision of height adjustment is sufficient for me and the one-wrench above-table bit changes are fantastic.
    Thanks for your input Victor. Your information confirms what I have read about the Triton.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Marchbanks View Post
    Gordon, I did exactly what you did, but I later added a router lift. Still felt the need for a second router and bought the DW618 kit, it came with a fixed base and a plunge base, and I later got D handle base. It has worked very well for me.

Alan
    At some point I may break down and get a router lift but for now I do not have plans in the direction. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by michael a nelson View Post
    i also have the 2.25 hp triton its perfect but i use a shaper on the raised panels you can send me my penny through paypal
    I went to Pay Pal but could not find the slot to drop my penny in. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Porterfield View Post
    Thanks for this thread, Gordon. And thanks to Victor for your reply.

I currently have a Bosch 1617EVS mounted in the side extension table of my old Unisaw. I got all excited about the Triton MOF001KC 2-1/4 HP when it came up for sale and having a rather large credit at Woodcraft, I bought it. I tried using the Triton for a couple hand-held jobs but found it heavy and awkward (more so than the Bosch, anyway) and didn't like the lack of soft start. So I put the Triton in storage until I get time to swap them out...I may need a new plate for the extension, but that's pretty cheap, I think.

Because the extension table of the saw is currently a storage platform (as I work on landscaping and such other tasks set forth by SWMBO), I haven't yet got around to making the swap. But on the to-do list is a white oak mantle for the fireplace and I will surely want BOTH routers working then, eh?

Don't need a penny... this thread is worth a nickel.
    Thanks Victor I appreciate your words and help.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    I didn't read all the other reply's, but here is my answer.

Buy a palm router. you won't regret it.

Since it sounds like you are satisfied with your current table set up, leave it alone.

I've got 2 big routers, a small old craftsman router, and a palm router.

I love my little ridgid router.
    I have no problem with a palm router but my bits are almost all 1/2". Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Gordon.... I would vote for a Triton in the table if you like using your DeWalt handheld. BUT, if the DeWalt will stay in the table and you end up shopping for a basic handheld, I thought I'd point out that Grizzly has the Porter-Cable 690 router on sale for $90. http://www.grizzly.com/products/690L...-Router/T22091
    Joe, this was most helpful and the price for the PC 690 was super. I just ordered one from Grizzly so this pretty well solves my problem for now. Thank you very much as I never look on the Grizzly site and would not have seen this.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Gordon, I read a few of the other replies and I'm thinking you would be better off in the long run to buy another router to use. I have a DeWalt 616 with a couple of bases for it, and I like that feature. I keep a fixed base in the router table and I also have the plunge base for the router and it works great with either one...never any problems for me. The DeWalt 616 or 618 are interchangeable, only difference is 616( 1 &3/4 hp), 618 (2 & 1/4hp). I don't use or need 1/2" router bits so the 1/4" do all that I need so far. These routers are often overlooked when a person is thinking of buying a new router and usually go for a much more expensive machine...but let me tell you...they are a real workhorse!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffner View Post
    Gordon, I read a few of the other replies and I'm thinking you would be better off in the long run to buy another router to use. I have a DeWalt 616 with a couple of bases for it, and I like that feature. I keep a fixed base in the router table and I also have the plunge base for the router and it works great with either one...never any problems for me. The DeWalt 616 or 618 are interchangeable, only difference is 616( 1 &3/4 hp), 618 (2 & 1/4hp). I don't use or need 1/2" router bits so the 1/4" do all that I need so far. These routers are often overlooked when a person is thinking of buying a new router and usually go for a much more expensive machine...but let me tell you...they are a real workhorse!
    Thanks for your thoughts Jim. I sort of went that direction but bought a PC 690LR router at a very good price (see above). This will accommodate my 1/2" bits and I can use it for all of my smaller jobs. The DeWalt 625 that I currently own is a real workhorse and easily handles the large panel raising bits in my router table.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

My 626 DeWalt is in a table. A lift helps, but puts a big, added strain on the top because of the combined tool weight. Generally speaking, hand-held routing doesn't demand as much horsepower — saving you money and weight. A 3.5 hp router such as the DeWalt is real moose. For handwork, I got the fixed-base Milwaukee 5616. Chosen because of price.

But if you intend to do hand work demanding a plunge router, you'll have to spend considerably more than the $150 I paid for the Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Curtis View Post
    My 626 DeWalt is in a table. A lift helps, but puts a big, added strain on the top because of the combined tool weight. Generally speaking, hand-held routing doesn't demand as much horsepower — saving you money and weight. A 3.5 hp router such as the DeWalt is real moose. For handwork, I got the fixed-base Milwaukee 5616. Chosen because of price.

But if you intend to do hand work demanding a plunge router, you'll have to spend considerably more than the $150 I paid for the Milwaukee.
    I bought the PC 690LR fixed base router for $90.00 on sale at Grizzly just an hour or so ago. This price was too hard to pass up and I thank Joe Angrisani for pointing this out to me (see post #15 ). The fixed base will be fine as I can always pull out my DeWalt 625 for the jobs needing a plunge router or for large bits needing variable speed.
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 07-21-2011 at 7:51 PM.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

The 690 is one of my routers as well.

You won't regret it. It's a great tool.
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    The 690 is one of my routers as well.

You won't regret it. It's a great tool.
    That is good to hear Aaron, thanks.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

This response is coming from someone who now owns 10 routers and 6 laminate trimmers. So I am all for adding to the router population in the shop. My suggestion is to leave the current router in the table and get one of the mid-size routers with variable speed for handheld work. For many years I had a set-up just like yours; only one router for all tasks. Sometimes kind of a pain in the keister to remove it for hand-held use, but I made it work.

Hi Gordon,

I've had a 625 in my router table for years and I love it. I would highly recommend the Xtreme Xtension router collet. It makes changing bits above the table a dream come true. I also use a Woodpeckers router lift made for the 625 which I also love.

I just mounted a Freud FT 1700 router to the side of my Supersaw yesterday, I was able to buy a used but very good condition router with all the pieces, a router plate, an extension for my table saw with a cut out ready to be mounted and the plunge and fixed base for $100. I have a PC690 for outside the table stuff, but I really like the Freud and would like to find another one for outside table use. The Freud is set up for above the table changes and height adjustment I think the router is as good as it gets for the price (especially the price I paid).

Having more tools than I know how to use - Priceless!!!

Gordon, I only take payment in advance. PayPal the penny to me and I'll let you know what I think.

Actually, you'll probably get what you pay for if you send me the penny. I could go in any direction on this one. Leave well enough alone and get another router for a seperate use. Or swap them out. If the adjustments don't bother you as they are, stay with them. If you would prefer above the table adjusting, then swap out... Good luck.
    I drink, therefore I am.