Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Powermatic 66 table saw Help needed

It appears they just start in the housing. I would screw the blade retaining nut on flush and take a block of wood as a protector and give it a solid rap. It should go however watch that it stays straight. You might need to tap it up or down or sideways to keep it straight. At least until it gets in a ways. You probably don't have enough shaft sticking out the back to pull it in that way.

thanks guys. with a bit of minor rust clean up on the inside of the arbor housing and some oil and grease, i was able to tap it into place. got the pulley on and new belts. does anybody know of the appropriate amount of tension the belts are supposed to have? the motor swings left or right, therefore tightening the belts, but i am not sure how tight i should try to make them?

I let the motor swing down to it's comfortable position then applied a bit of pressure while tightening to take up any slack. Seems to work fine.

Zach: With that green color, unless somebody repainted the interior, that's a late 1960's saw, not 2003. Not that it makes any difference now that you've got the bearings changed.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Poore View Post
    Zach: With that green color, unless somebody repainted the interior, that's a late 1960's saw, not 2003. Not that it makes any difference now that you've got the bearings changed.

Kirk
    thanks kirk,
    but i piggybacked on an already existing thread about PM66's. the original OP was talking about his 2003 saw, but yes, mine i believe is late 60's or early 70's. with new belts, bearings and a freshly ground table top i hope it operates like it was made just yesterday!!

Just a suggestion for anybody who may look at this thread in the future... I just ran into a similar problem with my 65, getting the nut off the end of the arbor shaft by the pulley. Mine was a castle nut but same issue. I used an impact drill and a 1 1/16" socket and that did it. I couldn't do I with an adjustable wrench because I couldn't keep the arbor from spinning. With the impact inwas able to easily keep the arbor from spinning.

For the bearings issue, I plan to clean it up good and use the freezer to my advantage with the bearings.