Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 66 table saw Help needed

Powermatic 66 table saw Help needed

I just got my new [used, ca 2003] Powermatic 5 hp saw running. However, I find the arbor tilt mechanism is very stiff. I tried to do a bit of lubing with dry-lube, which was only marginally better.
    Does anyone have a suggestion for freeing up this?

I had an old Craftsman 10 inch table saw that had an arbor tilt problem. The problem was caused by grease that had mixed with sawdust and hardened with age. I removed the assembly, throughly cleaned it, added grease, reassembled it and it worked like a charm. I don't use the tilt mechanism to often so that is probably why I didn't catch the hardened grease sooner.
    David B

Probably like David said, gunked up with grease and sawdust. Get in there and clean the threads on the tilting gears with mineral spirits,
    kerosene, etc., then spray with dry lube or brush some paste wax on it. Unless something else is going on, you should be able to tilt that 66 with your little finger.
    I tried for 37 years to wear out a PM66 in the shop I worked in. Finally gave up, retired, and let the younger guys try to wear it out.
    You've got a great saw. Enjoy it!

joe
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

The powermatic is a fine saw,but you will probably need to remove to table to clean it well.

Quote Originally Posted by dave toney View Post
    The powermatic is a fine saw,but you will probably need to remove to table to clean it well.
    If you remove the table to clean the saw be sure to note the location of any shimes and replace them from where they came, if you fail to do this it could prove to be a very long afternoon/evening.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

I guess you know that the center knob in the hand wheel is the lock knob.

John

[QUOTE=Heather Thompson;1746946]If you remove the table to clean the saw be sure to note the location of any shimes and replace them from where they came, if you fail to do this it could prove to be a very long afternoon/evening.
    When I bought mine, I had the same problem, I had to take the table off and degunk the gears, relube and the mechanism worked like new again. A lot of work, but really worth the effort. I tried to do it with the table on and just wasted a bunch of time.
    I agree with the knob post, make sure it's loose......................................

I use Johnsons paste wax on my PM65 and it usually does the job for about 6 months.

that boeshield stuff in the spray can (basically aerosol wax) is easier to get on there down in the gears and threads. i use that stuff. just spray it as you're moving the wheels throughout the range of travel, and yeah it lasts 6 months to a year depending on your shop conditions and how much you use the saw.

they have it at sears, in a white can.

Thanks for the advise. I used air to get the built-up sawdust off. Then used an aerosol dry lube. Ran it the the range of motion a few time and applied more dry lube. Seemed to help a bit.
    However, this morning I tried adjusting and it was very smooth and free.

Problem solved.

i just got myself into an old (1970's??) powermatic 66. i am having a hard time removing the arbor to get to the bearings. on the old models, there was no flat area on the arbor to stabilize while loosening the lock nut. i have been blasting the area with penetrating lube to no avail. anybody have luck with removing this nut to get the arbor out?

2014-03-05204535_zpsf9e91268.jpg2014-03-05204555_zps6921a49b.jpg2014-03-05204709_zps580edd1b.jpg
    BTW, here are some pics of the trouble area. the lock nut adjacent to the pulley will not budge. i noticed there are the three holes in the pulley, maybe for a special wrench to hold the arbor in place while loosening the nut?? Again, any help will be greatly appreciated, i've been staring and wrecking my brain trying to figure it out!!

Zach, by looking at your photo, the nut has left hans threads. Try turning it clockwise to remove it.

John

Thanks john, but they are not reverse threads. The past two days I've stared at them making sure I wasnt being an idiot! (It happens to the best of us sometimes.) I may try heating the nut with a heavy duty soldering iron and see if that helps. Even if it does, not having a way to stabilize the arbor is a pain.

Have you tried putting the belts on the pulleys to try to lock it in place? I know that has helped me a few times in the past on other things. Basically put the belts on the arbor pulley and squeeze them so that they tighten around the pulley and then use them as a handle to provide extra leverage. Baring that maybe an Impact wrench? I wonder if someone put it on with an impact, hence the problem.
    Drew