View Poll Results: Which Porter-Cable router accessory freeebie should I choose?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Porter-Cable 42690 Edge Guide

20 68.97%
  • Porter-Cable 42000 9-Piece Template Guide Kit

9 31.03%

Thread: Porter-Cable Freebies

Porter-Cable Freebies

Well, my tool shopping spree seems to be exploding. I've been given the go ahead to spend half of my $2400 (after taxes) bonus on tools, with the condition that I build my wife a dining table and chair set, a glider rocker and ottoman, and that she gets to spend the rest of the money as she likes.

As you can guess, that plan was FINE BY ME!

Anyhow, my list has expanded to include:
    1. Drill Press: Ridgid DP1550
    2. Benchtop Planer: Delta 22-580 and Dust Connector
    3. Belt Sander: Porter-Cable 362VSK and Graphite Shoe
    4. Router Kit: Porter-Cable 893PK
    Well, with the router, porter cable has a rebate available right now that offers either a free edge guide or templet guide set. (Rebate Page 1, Page 2).

So, my newest question for the creek is: which one should I get?

PS - I can't WAIT to post my first gloat to the creek after I get some of these tools tonight and tomorrow!!!
    Paul Thompson, Ardmore OK

That's a toss-up. I had neither until recently I bought the template guides. I've always made due with a straight edge, or clamping a makeshift fence to the router base. So, I voted for the guide bushings.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Paul, as Scott said, that’s a toss up. You’ll eventually need both (I did) so it comes down to which one do you think you’ll need first.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Paul you can get a set of guide bushings from most any where, and at a cheaper price too. But you can't get a router guide like that anywhere but from Porter Cable. I have that particular guide and love it. I also have a woo-craf- set of guide bushings and they do just fine by me.

I have the edge guide for my router and I have never used it. That's not to say that you won't, but I have used straight edges instead.

I agree with Jim. Grab the guide bushings somewhere else like Woodcraft (got mine for $14.99 on sale) and get the 42690 in the rebate.

I was lucky enough to get a 42690 for $10 recently, but haven't opened the package yet.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15810

I picked up the PC 895PK (fixed, plunge and adjusting wrench) for $229 + shipping from Coastal Tool. It's $269 - $40 instant rebate. You can still get the PC rebate items too.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...b86+1109340099

I agree with Jim and JIm. You might not use the edge guide much but it will cost you a lot more for it than a set of guide bushings.

I bought the 893PK a few months ago, and kinda regret not spending the extra $20 for the 895PK (same as 893PK plus the above table Micro Height Adjuster) now that I have a router table in the right side of my TS. When I bought the 893PK, I also bought the edge guide and served me well, but still has it's limitations. If I were working on the same project today (now that I have the right side table in my TS), I would not be using the edge guide and would therefore opt for the template guides.

Also, I got a flyer in the mail from Rockler yesterday that offered a $25 or $50 Rockler Gift Card in addition to the freebees that PC is offering. Something to look into.

Can I change my vote? That's a nice edge guide, and you can buy cheap bushings for less than $20. I'd take the edge guide....
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules