Thread: Display Racks for your Turnings

Display Racks for your Turnings

Everyone here has some great looking turned pieces but I'm looking for pictures of your display racks that go with your turnings,weather it is pen racks,stopper racks,plate racks,or whatever you display your turnings on. With all my turnings I've got I do not have a single rack for display. Sounds bad but I seem to spend all my time turning instead of trying to display them. Racks can be handmade or store bought. Thanks.
    Donny

Are you wanting something for a sales display or for home display?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Simple displays for pens & stoppers: open display with home-made acrylic add-on for stoppers and similar locking display. Trays made with 1/2" MDF, 3/4" core box slots on ~ 1" centers, lined with felt, trimmed to size and installed at ~ 10* angle. Tray idea from an IAP library tutorial.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Donny, this set of shelves was put together for an arts and crafts show a resort restaurant puts on every holiday season. You only get one or two of their dining room tables so I cut some equal size pieces of birch out of half logs and laid some bark edge boards across them to form shelves. Someone offered to buy the shelves so when the show was over packing up was sure easy.

I did this built-in for my basement. If you look closely, I have one self standing plexiglass shelf someone gave me that I put boxes on to elevate them a little. I made some stands from 4" PVC with a round tops of mdf painted glossy black. They help get small items elevated a little for better display. I got the pvc idea from an old AAW symposium tape of the instant gallery. I also found a very large ornament stand on Amazon that holds 19 ornaments.
    100_0002.JPG
    God is great and life is good!

How about the turning toboggan?
    toboggan 2.jpg

i use a variety of tables, find some at estate sales

I'm looking for displays for setting up at shows like bottlestopper racks,pen displays and whatever unique stands that hold items.

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Lawson View Post
    I'm looking for displays for setting up at shows like bottle stopper racks,pen displays and whatever unique stands that hold items.
    I have this birdhouse display on a counter at a local craft shop. It's made from a scrap drawer front (the base) and some lexan and a tree limb. There's a $5 lazy Susan on the base.
    IMG_3022.jpg
    Last edited by James Combs; 07-24-2011 at 9:27 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

Hi Donny, you may get some ideals from my boothDSC05077.jpg at a recent art show.

Cool displays guys! I like the built in Mike, very nice. The birch tree shelving was a brilliant idea, even more so when you consider someone bought it too . Great looking set up Jerry! I'm not sure how you do it Curt, but you're ideas always bring a big smile to my face, the "turning toboggan" is my favorite so far!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Rhoads View Post
    Hi Donny, you may get some ideals from my boothDSC05077.jpg at a recent art show.
    Jerry, that's a nice set up you have. I'm also working on a tent too. I like the stopper rack. Thanks

Thanks Donny and Rick, I owe the display to Diane (my wife) she does everything except the turning. She has won me a Best of Show award. She tells me a lot of the display racks to make.
    She is always looking at other peoples booths for ideas also. So some of our designs spun off of others.

Jerry