Thread: D Way CBN grinding wheel

D Way CBN grinding wheel

My 180 grit D Way CBN grinding wheel was waiting for me when I got back from my fishing trip. I put it on today to try it out. Most interesting thing is that the 180 grit wheel from Dave is way more aggressive and left a coarser surface than my 150 grit CBN matrix wheels. I think it is even more coarse than my 80 grit wheel. Makes me wonder, I thought the grits would be comparable. Good wheels. There is a bit of ringing, kind of like a tube lathe does (Oneway or Robust) whey you turn on it.

robo hippy

2. Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    My 180 grit D Way CBN grinding wheel was waiting for me when I got back from my fishing trip. I put it on today to try it out. Most interesting thing is that the 180 grit wheel from Dave is way more aggressive and left a coarser surface than my 150 grit CBN matrix wheels. I think it is even more coarse than my 80 grit wheel. Makes me wonder, I thought the grits would be comparable. Good wheels. There is a bit of ringing, kind of like a tube lathe does (Oneway or Robust) whey you turn on it.

robo hippy
    Reed,

I noticed that after I did a heavy sharpening on my 180 grit D-way CBN wheel on my lacer skew, that the surface has smoothed out some, not wear but just seems smoother to my touch than when it had not been used at all when I first got it. Don't know if your experience will be the same, but my wheel is doing great and sharpens very well.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Reed where do you buy the wheels you are currently using?

I purchased them through Northwest Super Abrasives (a division of Burton or Bell Saw, not sure which) here in Eugene (541-683-0801). I believe they have a web site as well. The matrix type of CBN is mostly used for grinding molder blades, 7/8 inch aluminum hub, with 3/16 inch of matrix bonded to it. Cost was about $300. After 5 years of production turning, the 80 grit wheel has half of the matrix left. They do need to go back once in a while to true them up as I do get some run out in them. You can not true them with a diamond dresser, they will eat the dresser up.

robo hippy