Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

25 July 2011

Good Morning Everyone,
    Thought I'd bet an earlier start to posting since I was awake anyway.

I've got the project started in my shop for my family doctor. It's a simple cherry cover to fit over his LOLM's kitchen stove. Why, I have no clue, but that's what he wanted. I still have to put the feet on it and maybe I can get that done today.

I spent this past week at my parent's home in Alabama. I can't go into all the details but let's just say that dad's pain isn't getting any better, Hospice Care is hopefully going to change his meds today and I'm trying to figure out how to make sure my dad gets the meds he's supposed to have each time he's supposed to have it.

I have some work that needs to be done on my motorcycle as I think the steering yoke bearings are going bad and now it's the challenge to save the money to get that fixed, but I know it has to be fixed before I make my next trip to Alabama in a few weeks.Oh, and here is a pic I was able to get at a time when dad was feeling well enough to go outside and get his picture taken with my bike (my dad always loved motorcycles). This was taken earlier in May when I was there. There's no way he could do this again today. I love my dad, a LOT!!.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 07-25-2011 at 5:25 AM.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks for the picture, it adds much to your post, and previous ones with being able to put a face on all that you've written about your Dad. We had rain early Saturday, LOTS of it, almost 7 inches. I had to recheck that when I first saw the news on TV since I thought they meant for the week or month! Set a new record for single largest rainfall for us, just topping the previous one set in 2008. Hmm, we get wetter, and lots of the country gets a drought. I am willing to share this extra water, trust me. Our yards are like mini-rain forests now. Of course I took water in the basement, since the street drains backed up. Spent time on Saturday and Sunday throwing away some cardboard boxes and drying stuff out. Didn't really have a mess like before since we moved 95% of all previously stored items out of paper and into plastic storage boxes.
    Thank God for Sterilite storage boxes...... I really only lost boxes that were recent purchases, and were holding water safe items like plastic or rubber dust collection stuff from Rockler , etc. So, mainly a mess cleanup, and no ruined items to throw out . I suspect that we'll see thrown out basement rugs and carpet all day today as people finally get a handle on all of this, or were away for the weekend and come home, to find a mess.....
    Could have been so much worse. I plan to build a rolling platform for my Bench Dog Router Table, since it's just a large benchtop model and sits on the floor when not in use. No damage to it or the big PC router inside of it, but I got lucky this time as the water level in the lowest section of the shop was only about 1 inch.

I spent the weekend wasting time trying to figure out the plan I agreed to with the power company. Savings of 400.00 + a year to have your A/C controlled by the power company during peak useage seemed like a good idea @ the time. In reality I don't think anyone had a good handle on expectations. Seems that the air handler's fan was cycled off while the heat pump was regulate to 50% useage (not supposed to happen). Outcome was no a/c for three days till I figured it all out. The basement flood because the handler turned to a block of ice. In between all that I practiced cutting kerfs with a back saw. Not to mention the shop was a nice cool 70 or so degrees. Seems this is harder to do than I thought. Watched Christopher Schwarz's Sawing Fundementals a few times.

Went out to dinner and a movie Saturday to escape the heat for a few hours. If your into action type movies with a SF theme Captain America was not to bad.
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 07-25-2011 at 9:55 AM.

Saturday, I spent with my granddaughter Abby who is visiting from Indiana. She is 19 and indicated she wanted to learn to turn pens. So we drove to Spokane and purchased some pen kits and the acrylic pen blanks she had her eye on. I asked her where she'd like to have lunch. A gleam appeared in her eye...a smile on her face....she said "Actually...I'd like another Effie Burber!" Effie's is a local restaurant/bar in Lewiston, Idaho where we live. It's famous for there 9" hamburgers that must weigh a lb. each. Charles Bronson and wife Jill Ireland found the place when they stayed in the area filming the movie "Breakheart Pass". Some years later while passing through Boise 260 miles south...they told their children about the Effie Burger and the kids wanted one. As reported in the local newspaper, the Bronsons went 520 miles out of their intended route to treat their kids to an Effie Burger...... Soooooo Abby and I had a late lunch at Effies. I brought 1/2 my Effie burger home and Sharon and I shared it for supper. Abby and I prepped 3 pen blanks...drilling and epoxing in the tubes. Later today she gets her first turning lesson.

Sharon in the meantime took our other visiting granddaughter Vicki and her two sons (ages 4 and 2) and drove to Boardman, OR to meet with Vicki's husband Trevor. Vicki returned home to Vancouver, WA with her husband after visiting with us for 4 days. We sure enjoyed her and her two little blonde headed tykes visit!

Sunday Sharon and I started cleaning the house and I trimmed the pen blanks for Abby and I turned a pen for Abby.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

This past weekend was more or less wasted. Friday evening was grocery shopping, took the family in to Houston to get hair cuts on Saturday. LOML's dye job takes several hours, so I got some quality time in playing solitaire on my phone... Sunday was morning services and lots of loafing... Not very productive, but very restful...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Saturday we spent the day meeting and adopting this guy from a local rescue organization.

IMAG0184.jpg

Sunday I spent the day with out of town family.

Well this Saturday my husband and I got home from three weeks on the road, we went to the Badlands, Yellowstone/Tetons, Crater Lake, North Coast of California, Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley, Monument Valley, Pikes Peak, Rocky Mountain National Park, we had a great time!!!!!! My husband is handicapped so we got an "Access Pass" that lets us have free access for life to all National Parks and half off on camping, Dennis kids me that I only married him for the great parking but now it also includes the great camping opportunities. We had not been away since Dec/Jan 08/09 so this was well overdue, kind of looking for a place to move to when he leaves the rat race, Flagstaff Az is looking pretty good at this time.

Heather
    Last edited by Heather Thompson; 07-25-2011 at 2:03 PM.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Heather.......What a great whirlwind trip!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Saturday we spent the day meeting and adopting this guy from a local rescue organization.

IMAG0184.jpg

Sunday I spent the day with out of town family.
    That is one awesome looking pup Matt! How old is he/she?

He's about 10 months.

Blog Entries
    Spent a little time in the shop but not much because I live in the Houston area (read that as "too hot").

Dave, you should have taken the opportunity to visit Clark's Hardwoods while your bride was getting her hair fixed. Even if you're not buying, it's a great place to kill time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Spent a little time in the shop but not much because I live in the Houston area (read that as "too hot").

Dave, you should have taken the opportunity to visit Clark's Hardwoods while your bride was getting her hair fixed. Even if you're not buying, it's a great place to kill time.
    I wasn't that far off. We go to a shop off of Telephone road pretty close to 610. We spent the day with family up there. Saw a few of the nieces and nephews. It was pretty cool...

I did threaten to drag her to Rockler though. I want to grab a Big Gulp hood. I am thinking about somehow attaching one to the rails on my sliding miter saw... I have GOT to get dust from that thing under control...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I spent Saturday afternoon cooking over 1000 hot dogs in 100+ degree heat and a heat index of 115 at a fundraiser for a civic organization.
    I survived without getting heat stroke, I feel that was an accomplishment.
    Dave

Dave, you could have left the fire off, put the dogs on the grill, gone inside for 30 minutes, back out and they would have been done!!
    LOML and I went to my parents Saturday to look through stuff for their impending move. Brought back a few items as noted in the thread I started about it. I keep thinking of items I saw that Dad said to take that I forgot. A new 18 volt batter pack I hope I can use to rebuild one of mine and get a few more miles on it, and his metal chop saw. Since I took his compressor, I'll take both of my portable units and see which one he'd rather have.
    I spent an hour in the shop Sunday working on one of the ZCIs. Got it all drilled and the put together....the hole for the tie down screw at the front was in the wrong place so the screw doesn't line up to go into the saw.at myself. I marked it from the original. Only thing I can think of is I enlarged the piece so it fits snugly into the opening, unlike the factory inserts, and I must not have referenced the front edges together. Not sure I can salvage this one. Will try to glue in a dowel and re-drill, but the hole in the laminate will be oblong. That's about it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

This weekend was a mixed bag after I spent a few days in Austin TX on business...I didn't ride in my lesson on Saturday as I had a mole removed from my abdomen earlier in the week and I didn't want to over work the stitches. So after my younger daughter Alesya had her lesson early in the morning, we all jumped in my Highlander and headed east...all the way to the Jersey shore...for lunch near the beach then then to a house a few miles away where we picked up a Cocketiel that we were approved to adopt by a rescue organization. (Our 22 year old Cocketiel Spike died a few months ago and it was time to get back to being a two bird family) So meet Finley...a 3 yo male who is full of spirit, yet much more socialized than we were expecting.

Sunday morning I did ride Nellie for a bit before the real heat rolled in and then spent a few hours on my Kubota re-grading and cleaning up an area to the south of our driveway along the road that was preferring to host way too much poison ivy and weeds, making sight lines of the traffic difficult and dangerous. It will soon be grass instead. And then after cooling off, I finally hung the blinds we bought "eons ago" for our guest suite. It's time for the 'rents to visit for their annual pilgrimage north from central Florida and I figured they might enjoy some privacy from the UPS man and other visitors for a change.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...