Thread: 12 panels for a Wine cabinet

12 panels for a Wine cabinet

I was commissioned to carve these designs on 12 panels for a Wine Cabinet. Another woodworker is building the cabinet itself and the design was picked by the client for use on the cabinet. Basically there are two doors to the cabinet with 6 of these panels making the door in a raised panel type construction. The cabinet will end up at the clients newly constructed beach house in Bermuda.
    Each panel is 8 inches square and the carving done in 1/4 inch. When arranged in the proper sequence the panels create a larger picture separated only by the stiles and rails of the doors.
    IMG_8799.jpgIMG_8803.jpgIMG_8800.jpgIMG_8798.jpgIMG_8802.jpgIMG_8801.jpg
    The Woodworking Studio

Beautiful, as always! I would love to see some close-ups or maybe some with the correct arrangement..... I've been sitting here trying to match them up in my mind and figure out what goes where! I'm guessing the ferns go on the bottom, but that's as far as I got!

Sorry . Mike,
    Here is the original sample I carved to get the commission which is part of the large screen ( black and white copy) that the client used as the inspiration for the cabinet. At that point I just picked out a section and carved it for them when they sent me the copy.
    After getting the commission, they picked out the sections they wanted and sent me individual copies picked from the screen. Also in the 4th photo is an example of what the cabinet will look like.
    I also have shots showing how I held them while carving. This was part of a sequence I posted on my blog.
    And ,,, if I may,,, I have another post here under woodworking projects titled RESTORATIONS.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...34-Restoration

It's a very old Sacristy Cabinet that needed some attention, carving, etc. You might want to check it out as well. It's loaded with nice carvings.
    Hope this helps somewhat.

IMG_7568.JPGIMG_8787.JPGIMG_8788.JPGIMG_7564.JPGIMG_8789.JPG
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 07-25-2011 at 1:03 PM.
    The Woodworking Studio

IMG_8790.JPGAh,, knew I had another ( besides many) photos of this stuck in an odd file.
    Here is the arrangement I use when I carve as well as the full size print of the cabinet in the background.
    The Woodworking Studio

Mark, quality carvings once again! I noticed that you changed some of the details from the pictures, was this OKed with the customer before carving. You said that the panels were 8" but they look larger than that, maybe it is the hold down blocks that makes them look larger. How many days did these take you to carve? Nice carving station you have put together. Thanks for sharing.
    "Always Chipping Away"

Hi Roger,
    I'm not sure what details you are looking at but I used the copies they sent to transfer directly to the panels using carbon paper. Pretty much everything on their copies should be on the panel. The sizes is 8 inch. Carving stations get made up as I do each job. They generally follow a theme but change with the variety of carvings. Very little is permanent in my shop.
    The pieces took about 2 days each after routing. The routing took basically two days for all 12.
    The Woodworking Studio

Mark that's gorgeous!
    Did you route by hand, or with CNC?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Just my dependable Porter Cable. I made a large base out of lucite for it and off I go. I also like using a small trim type router as well. It too has a large base to span designs such as this. Simple and quick.
    The Woodworking Studio

Thanks for the information! What kind of positioner or vise do you use to hold the panels at your station? I couldn't quite see underneath your work! I like the setup you have there with the lights.

My pleasure Mike,
    The vice is a simple Veritas from Lee Valley. Works great for a variety of projects , see it here http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...659,41667&ap=1
    Went up quite a bit since I got mine. I think if I had my choice a friend of mine has a hydraulic one that is very nice. Locks like a rock. This one isn't bad though. I had to replace the threaded screw once as I tend not to know my own strength ( and have several backups now just in case) but you can attach any number of jigs,, or bolt your piece directly to it for a variety of holding angles. Nifty piece.

Not to belabor a point, but in carving, lighting is a key factor. I like having two sources as it casts the best shadows. OR, if your hand is in the way , the second light still provides illumination. Without light, and shadows , carvings die.
    The Woodworking Studio