Thread: Auction Tool Gloat

Smile Auction Tool Gloat

During my free time at work, I like to check out craigslist and auction web sites to see wants available. Usually I can't take advantage of anything out there. But last week I was that there was going to be an auction of a Woodworking Shop in my area. Well this I just couldn't pass up because one of the main items was a Nova DVR XL. I knew that I wouldn't have the funds for that but I could at least pick up some accessories. Well I got there early saturday and looked around to see what was available. Along with the lathe I saw 4 supernova chucks, cole jaws, a box of tool rests, about 30 different gouges, a wolverine grinding station and a Powermatic 14" band saw w/6" riser block. My eyes just kind of glazed over looking thru the various boxes as I planned out what I would buy with my limited funds. Well auction time finally got started and they began going thru the various small items, boxes and other machinery before getting to the lathe items. When they started on the gouges, they grouped them together as one unit instead of selling them individually for one money. Well when the dust settled and my pockets were empty, and winning 4 different bids, this is what I came home with:
    Bid 1
    Sorby Swan neck Scaper
    P & N 1/2 bowl gouge w Aluminum Handle
    Henry taylor 1/4" bowl gouge

Bid2
    Sorby 1 1/2" Scraper
    Sorby 1" Scraper
    Sorby 1/2" bowl Gouge
    Sorby 1" skew
    Sorby 3/4" Roughing gouge
    Gladstone 1/2 Beddan
    Steele X gouge

Bid3
    Supernova Chuck w serrated jaws
    2 - 50mm jaws
    1 serrated 1" pin/step jaws
    2MT reamer

Bid4 box lot
    Live center set
    2 - Cone live centers
    WoodRiver Deluxe Drive center 4 prong
    Beall Tool 1 1/4-8 tap
    Micro mesh sanding cloth
    pen blank
    Stanley awl

I love a good auction
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow!!

What a haul!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Nice bunch of tools, hope you got them at a good price!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

double Wow, did they say who the woodturner was??

estate autions have plenty of saws, broken drills, axes, but real woodturning tools and chucks, amazing

you did good

How much did you end up spending on that beautiful lot of loot?

JP

Now that is a nice haul.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jon

Once I got back from the auction I sat down and looked up what each item cost new. All total it would have been over $950 worth of tools that I got at a third of the cost. My biggest disapointment, but someone elses gloat is that the auctioneer bundled many boxes of accessories with the lathe purchase. Included with the lathe the auctioneer added several boxes that had 3 supernova chucks, 5 various tool rests, and many more little accessories that someone got for $1200. The lathe alone probably would have sold for that amount. The bid winner has a great starting setup.

Sweet score! Right time right place!!

You could have been a little easier on us by just posting one of those groups over a 4 day period. Seeing that many goodies at one time is more than most of us can stand!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN