Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 240 volt plug types

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Kirk, my outlets are in excess of 4 feet above the floor and I've never had one fall out in 30 years.

However it is a possibility I guess..............Regards, Rod.
    My twist lock's stay in, but my standard 120V plugs pull loose sometimes, and have (on rare occasions) fallen out.

Kirk

Blog Entries
    If plugs are falling out by themselves (nothing pulling on the cord), your sockets should be replaced... there should be a positive gripping action on the plug's blades.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

My shop standard is L6-30 for 230V machines. Although these twist-lock plugs and recepticals are expensive if bought at a commercial supplier, bargains on lots can be found on ebay if you keep watch. I equipped the whole shop and have spares for what 2 or 3 of the plugs retail for. L6-30 with 10ga. wiring is sufficient for up to a 5hp single-phase machine.

HBL2621-2.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I use L14-20 so I can have a neutral. It's useful to be able to use contactors with 120V coils and hardwired task lights.

I'm going with L14-30 connectors just so I can use the same cords that my generator takes. Never know when that synergy may come in handy. Also one of my outlets will be in the ceiling so Twistlock is a minimum feature.

That was the primary I went with the twist locks as well. Now I gotta change them from 5L to 6L thanks to John

I've got L5 & L6 twist locks in my shop. I really like them for the ease of removal and positive lock. They're certainly a little more expensive than other options, but it's really in the noise when installed on a machine that cost thousands of dollars. I did actually build an adapter cord when my buddy brought his 230V welder over that had a dryer plug on it. (He went with the cheapest option.)

I use twist locks on all my 240v circuits. They cost a little more money, but I like the positive connection they provide.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

An L14-20 is handy if you want to run two 120V 20A circuits on one extension cord. Warning: the circuits must be wired in different phases to avoid overloading the neutral leg. I used one for this to run circuits to my 30"x52" router table with one circuit for the 15A router and the other for my 15A DC or a 11A shop-vac. While I was at it I wired it through a double-pole switch so the router on-off switch turns off the DC or vacuum at the same time.

It does require 4/c #12 or heavier wire.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!