Thread: accurate benchtop saw

accurate benchtop saw

Need a precision capable bench top saw, 10in dia blade. Anyone have a good one to recommend? Thanks, Phil
    Philip

Bosch GTS1031.

AZCRAIG

Bosch 4100 gets high marks from most folks. I had a Jet bench top (JBTS-1-BT-3 or something similar) that served me pretty well for years. The price has gone up on it though and the fence was pretty marginal, so I'd recommend something from Bosch.

I LOVE my 4100.

It's been spiffed out with the extension in/outfeeds, the digital rip fence, and a Forrest WW blade.

But ... know that it isn't, and will never be a cabinet saw.

For me, that meant three things: size, feed rate, and heft.

Meaning: two days ago, I ordered a 5hp SawStop Industrial Cabinet Saw, but will likely keep my 4100 forever. It's that good ... for what it is !

4100 is nothing short of a beast. Ive milled 100 year old 12/4 white oak in one pass with ease. As far as benchtop/portable table saws, the 4100 (or Bosch saws in general) are in a class of their own. I do mostly handwork and would rather give my money to Lie Lielson vs purchasing a cabinet TS. I've used the Ryobi (junk) Dewalt, and Rigid portable TS's as well. The Dewalt is ok, the Rigid is a little better and the Ryobi is a toy. Definitely a no brainer decision.

Also, I purchased my 4100 about 3 years ago but got it on sale at Sears (of all places) for about 400$ on sale.

PJS

I have a 6yr old DW744 and prefer the fence over the Bosch 4100.

Bosch's soft start is nice and the gravity stand is heads above the crap that came with my Dewalt but it does take up more room in my truck with stand.(if that matters).

Some like the Makita versions but I hear little in the way of compliments on their fence design.

I've not "studied" all of the features on the newer models but based on my experience with the older versions, both the Dewalt and Bosch are accurate and both are well powered, so you should be good to go with either.

If the stands are important, I believe that Dewalt has come up with a decent rolling stand now.
    You should be able to get either without a stand.

I never bothered with much in the way of dust collection on either saw, both have ports but can't compare relative effectiveness. The dust is kinda contained to the general area with a shopvac going but don't expect much more than that without modifications.

Check out both the Dewalt and the Bosch and if you can, fire them up (I believe my Dewalt was a little louder ) and go with the one you like.

Neither will replace a cabinet saw for the shop, they aren't intended to.

Thanks for the feedback

and it is appreciated. Phil
    Philip

I always thought of the Bosch 4100 series as a jobsite saw and not a benchtop.

Craig

Craig,
    Yeah, I'm a little confused about that too, the thread just seemed to be heading in that direction without further definition of the OP's needs.
    However, Dewalt and Bosch both have compact 10" models that can be thrown on the bench. I've used only the Dewalt one but the Bosch I would think would be comparable.
    Unless he's looking for a Proxxon or something of which I have no idea how they are but I don't think 10" blades are in their lineup.