Thread: Ziricote off-fall and Keeton chucks

Ziricote off-fall and Keeton chucks

I picked up a couple of Super Nova chucks from John Keeton a few months back. I could have sworn that he had mentioned something about including memory however...caveat emptor...no memory included. In the spirit of gentlemanly sport, I'm sure that it is me who must have been mistaken.

I'm fairly new to this whole game. I had acquired some ziricote some time back and it included any and all 'off-fall' (the bark cut). It's also with the off-fall that you occasionally 'land' a burl. I recently had the idea to cut a few of them up into squares and give them a try as shallow bowl blanks. Thinner blanks end up with two opposing areas on the back rims that remain natural edge but the thicker pieces can be turned down enough where that is not an issue but either way, they look pretty good. Ziricote in general and the 'bark cut' in particular is prone to cracking so you need to either work around (read: leave them) or epoxy them, depending upon their location and / or magnitude.

This wood is similar to the cocobolo in that it is very hard, heavy, and dense so the finish is micro mesh sanded and paste wax only. The photos show: Keeton's chucks (the ones without the memory), a pallet of the off-fall, with one surfaced piece on top, the 'bowl' still in the chuck after waxing, and then a few of the finished piece. One of the finished shots includes a couple of the blanks as well.

Side note: For the life-of-me, I can't figure out how to upload photos and get them to view in the rotation that I upload them. I'm sure there's a simple solution but one which continues to elude me. It is the mysteries that keep life interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-29-2011 at 7:16 AM. Reason: To remove promotional material
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

That is some amazing wood and a great looking bowl. Nice work.

I have the same issue w/ the photos. When I upload I do the "Line Insert" option and cut and paste them in the order I want.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

If it's any consolation, I can no longer predict image upload order, nor can I drag/drop the uploaded images to change the order. I'm using Internet Explorer 9. I'll post a message in another forum section, maybe find an answer.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous looking bowl... that's an awesome wood to make it out of.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-29-2011 at 9:20 AM.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Damon - sure is some rich looking wood! Beautiful bowl!

For anyone having problems uploading your photos, Jim Koepke wrote a very easy to follow tutorial that should help! http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...s-of-June-2011
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Damon those sure Great looking plates/bowls. and a nice looking stash on the pallet.

Hey Steve thanks for the reminder about uploading photos.

Jerry

Steve,

Uploading photos is not a problem. Ordering and rearranging the uploads is what's not working for some of us.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

What's the point in buying stuff from Keeton if it doesn't remember what he did? Nice work though. I really like the finished pieces.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Damon, glad you are getting good use from the chucks! Drop dead gorgeous wood!!

Beautiful, rich wood and the bowl is a beauty.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats on the new toys and the ziricote! The wood is beautiful, but it's one of the nastiest to work... If there's a dustier wood, I haven't found it!

Thanks to all (aka: a testament to decent photography)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lux View Post
    What's the point in buying stuff from Keeton if it doesn't remember what he did? ...
    No kidding...it's not like you can't buy chucks from any one of a thousand places. So, he sold me the chucks but not the secret. Shoot man, now I guess that I'm going to have to actually work at this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    ...The wood is beautiful, but it's one of the nastiest to work... If there's a dustier wood, I haven't found it!

I had referenced it's similarities to cocobolo but you're right, unlike cocobolo, there's no resin or oils in there. It's like being covered in fine dirt. Also, a hot son-of-a-gun (blow torch) off the scraper.

Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Pretty work with some spectacular wood!