Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the best magnetic drill tips/tip holder?

Who makes the best magnetic drill tips/tip holder?

I've got a couple impact and driver drills with 1/4" hexes (for screw tips). I'm looking for a good magnetic tip or tip holder. Any tips or products you've found to work well?

The best one I have is in the Makita impact driver bit kit I got. I also have a set I got from Rockler that works pretty well, not impact grade though, I believe it was made by Triton?? I can check at home later...

Wiha and Wera.

Makita hasnt failed yet. Dewalt tips dont seem to be as magnetic for some reason.

PJS

I've never had one keep the bit in. They always seem to fall out. I prefer using the quick release chuck type that holds the bit.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I like the dewalt with the spring clip or the old milwaukee brass one with the O ring

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I've never had one keep the bit in. They always seem to fall out. I prefer using the quick release chuck type that holds the bit.
    I agree 100%. But I like magnetic for the reason of holding the screw. Seems like the magnetism isn't ever enough.

Agree with Harvey, Wiha, haven't tried Wera
    J Load

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Sorenson View Post
    I agree 100%. But I like magnetic for the reason of holding the screw. Seems like the magnetism isn't ever enough.
    Magnetize the bit.
    A small magnetizer/de-magnitizer is always within my reach. Only takes a couple strokes.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Don't remember the name, but I got a couple at a True Value hardware store that have a gold ring around the end that moves. When you pull up the ring it holds much better than when it is down. It works like the metal cup you can get for rare earth magnets....it concentrates the hold. The only thing I don't like about them is that they are a bit longer than I like.

Rick Potter

So where do you get Wiha and Wera brand tips?

Here is the one I use http://www.jackrabbittool.com/

Gary
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Sorenson View Post
    So where do you get Wiha and Wera brand tips?
    bumped any good clues where to find the Wiha and Wera products?

For Wiha go to Tom Walz at Carbide Processors. He treats Creekers well. Wera is available at Amazon.

My go-to bit holder is usually one from McMaster Carr that has an o-ring and a compression nut to keep the insert bit from getting yanked out of the holder, has a good strong magnet and it's a one piece body so it won't come apart. No idea who makes this and haven't seen it elsewhere.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#insert-bit-holders/=djb9in

Looks like it's made by Vega Industries:
    http://www.vegaindustries.net/pdut_c...D=22&CateID=37

The locking bit holder from Lee Valley is also nice, but not as secure as the McMaster unit. This one holds bits of either shank design but the magnet is not as strong.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...411,43417&ap=2

-kg