Thread: Danish Oil on Marine grade Fir for shed exterior??

Danish Oil on Marine grade Fir for shed exterior??

I have made 16 x 48" panels out of marine grade ply on my shed. I love the look of the grain and want to bring it out a bit, as well as give it a bit of protection.

Most of the deck / fence stains are tinted, and the non tinted ones don't do much for grain highlighting.

Would anyone advice for or against using Danish Oil on the panels. I know it will be pricy, but this really is more than 'just a shed'. It's a bit of an architectural piece for the backyard that coincidentally holds all my junk.

I'm open to other suggestions if you feel like offering them up.

Thanks

I would advise "against". If you insist on finishing it with a clear finish there are a few options that are much better than a danish oil.

Use a high quality NON POLY marine varnish ($40+ per quart and you said Danish oil was expensive). Epifanes is probably the best. Get it at a marine suppy house. No finish is going to last more than a few years without recoating so plan on recoating every couple of years.

In Houston an over the counter, big box store, marine poly will not last a summer without failing. In Canada you may get a bit more life. The problem with poly marine varnsih is that the poly is not UV stable and it will need to be removed prior torecoating.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

This was the Danish Oil I had recommended to me:

http://www.liberon.co.uk/oil-finishe...0xOTYmfA%3D%3D

I should add that the hardware for attaching the panels is exposed, so sanding or other abrasive work is essentially not viable.
    Last edited by Chris Yarish; 07-29-2011 at 8:17 PM.

Did you notice that the Liberon product needs to be maintained at least twice a year! Holy cow, who's going to do that. Epifanes will give you a minimum of 2 years, more likely 3 or 4 between touch ups. I've used it on several outdoor furniture projects and it's very nice stuff, but should be at $45/quart and you have to put on 7 coats initially - which takes a week. General Finishes 450 exterior product also is said to have very good durability in exterior applications, although I haven't used it.