Thread: Delta 1460 Chuck

Delta 1460 Chuck

I'm a new member to Saw Mill Creek and so far have really enjoyed reading the various posts and responses.

I have just acquired my grandfather's old Delta 1460 lathe. It's in really great shape and just needed a simple cleaning to get it running smoothly. The lathe came to me with a drive center, a live center and a few old face plates. Also, there is a parting gouge and a roughing gouge. Just the basics to get me started on turning spindles.

My question is this: What is the best chuck system to use on a lathe of this vintage? I've read that the Oneway's are a great chuck. I have also read some posts about the Nova Chuck being pretty decent for the money. I know that I can't go too heavy on this lathe and that the swing also limits the size of chuck that can be used. I'm most appreciative of any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

Welcome to Sawmill. Since most of us don't know what lathe you have from your grandfather's time, it would help to know the following....what spindle thread do you have? You must know that, before buying a chuck. What is the capacity of your lathe? from the bed to the centerline? Once you know that you can buy a chuck. People have favorites and that is fine, but PSI, Oneway, Nova,Vicmarc etc all make decent chucks. Get one that will accomodate the work you will do. You say in your post you will be turning spindles..no need for a chuck until you do bowls, vases, etc.

I just sold a 1460 a couple months ago. I liked the super nova that went with it, I had a couple sets of jaws and turned a bunch of stuff on that machine. Be safe and enjoy-----welcome to the Creek
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Thanks Michelle for the suggestions. The measurement from bed to centerline is exactly 6". Spindle thread is 1"x8 TPI. I have included a picture of the lathe for reference. The serial number on the lathe indicates it was manufactured sometime in 1948. I'm interested in a chuck because I want to get into turning vases and bowls. The tools and centers that came with it are sufficient to get me started on spindles, but I want to go further.

Thanks Gary - safety is number one! I will take a look at the Super Nova chuck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Nice lathe Rick! Since you have a 1x8tpi spindle, you will need an adapter for any chuck you purchase......for the money it is hard to beat a SuperNova 2 or a G3 Nova chuck..........I do not say this because it is my favorite, but because of the price and the quality combination.............the most reasonably priced and a good quality chuck as well. If you go with the SN2, you can use it when you decide to upgrade to a larger lathe, just need to change the adapter to a 1.25 x 8tpi and it will fit the larger lathes.

Your lathe has a 12" swing, meaning 6" under the spindle and 6" over it. You can do a lot of work with that lathe.....looks like it was well cared for, and if you continue that you should get years of service out of it! good luck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The Super Nova 2 is a good chuck, I have two. But, another good chuck, and it's only $104.00, is the Grizzly H6265 4 Jaw Wood Chuck 1" x 8 TPI. No need to buy an addaptor for this one. I notice that your lathe is only 1/2 HP, and I am thinking that later down the road you might want to upgrade that. I like the way the motor is fixed on this lathe it will make the upgrade easier. Have fun.

Teknatool does not recommend the Super Nova on a 14" or less lathe. The G3 and their midi chuck was what they recommend. If you purchase the midi you do not have to buy an adapter, it's setup for 1x8 out of the box.

The age-old woodturner's question: the best deal for your current needs or the one that will handle your future needs as you slide further into the woodturning vortex? Fortunately for you, you can never have too many chucks so buying a smaller one now would not necessarily be a bad thing even if you get a larger lathe later. As Roger said, the advantage of getting the Nova (Teknatool) G3 is that you can use it for smaller projects on a bigger lathe down the road just by buying the different adaptor. Of course, you could get the less expensive chuck now and just keep the smaller lathe when you buy the next and larger one. Notice I said "when" and not "if." Beware the vortex, and welcome to the creek!

Rick, I have 2 PSI Barracudda II chucks that are 1x8 and they work just fine for a lot of things up to and even over 12" in diameter. You can get a whole set with all the jaws for under $200, and for just getting started they will do the job just fine.

Good luck,
    Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Very nice/classic looking lathe! Enjoy using it!

There are lots of good chucks with a wide range in price. I have a Supernova, SN2, and G3. The Nova G3 should do everything you will ever want with the lathe. You can still get it on the bay for $125 (insert & shipping included – search Nova G3).
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Rick, I was just on Woodcraft's site, and they have the Nova midi chuck with 2 sets of jaws on sale for $99. It is set up for 1x8 out of the box. I have no experience with it, but I am very happy with my SN2 by the same maker. Woodcraft also has a sale on their 8" slow speed grinder right now, which you may want for sharpening. (You'll need a grinder if you don't already have one.) It is a decent inexpensive grinder and the wheels it comes with are much better for turning tools than the gray wheels you get with some grinders. Many turners have it and you can find plenty of info on it if you search old threads. Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! I have it narrowed down to the Nova chuck and the Barracuda chuck and will purchase one or the other tonight from Amazon.

I will post a picture or two of my first turning project (good or bad) just to let you all know that I have taken my first step into the 'vortex'.