Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a new circular saw

Can't really recommend a model per say, but I'm giving a strong vote for a "left hand" model. Very nice to use, don't know why all saws aren't made this way, well at least the ones for right handed people that is.

The diff between right or left blade saws is more a matter of personal preference nowadays. The logic is the right blade saw is safer for right-handed people. If you have a guide or the saw is designed well, the blade on the right is safer and the cuts will be good. There sure is a lot more selection of right blades.

If you're primarily going to break down sheet goods, I'd get a worm drive. The shoe is wider than the motor, so you can clamp and cut from either side. The sidewinders, since the motor hangs off to the other side, you sometimes hit the clamp of your straightedge. Or you have to always clamp from the blade side. You can get a used indestrucible Skil cheap. They last forever with a couple oil changes.

Just my $.02.

Bought a PC American made about 2002. Liked the thought of the left cut, but stuck with the right cut just 'cause that's all I've ever used. Don't know about the new PC stuff, but mine has been a winner.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

just replaced my ol reliable pc as well.... it had a long hard life... tools don't last forever.
    But PC decided to stop offering dust collection as an option... a dumb decision IMO... dust collection via a Festool or shop vac is important to me. If you work on construction site, of course no big deal...

so the only option I could find was the Bosch CS10 or 20. Great dust collection, great power...body is a bit flimsy if you plan to use it on construction site.... and since its flimsy, I would not use it for final glue ready cuts...for that, the Festool TS75 comes out...

I've been real happy with my Makita (no-brake version tho I forget the model number). It replaced my old C-man which could not be adjusted to cut a perfect 90 degcrees to the base plate (the plate hit the motor chassis before it could get to 90 degrees). To my surprise when shopping for a new one, a number of makes/models had similar issues so got eliminated from consideration quickly. Take a good quality small square with you when shopping and check em out.
    Use the fence Luke