Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a new circular saw

I need a new circular saw

I don't use it often, but lately I haven't been satisfied with my old Cman circular saw. I really only use it to break down sheets and occasional outdoor construction. The last time I used the saw to break down some oak ply, seemed like there was some deflection in the shoe since I had it extended so much just to go thru 3/4". Whats a good solid HD saw right now? Is it worth or better going to a worm drive just for occasional use? Sorry, but no, I'm not going to a track saw. Thanks. Greg

Greg.... I have been very happy with my Makita 5007MG. This is the non-brake version (the brake version is the 5007MGA, and it's about $40 more). Picked mine up as a set with a pretty nice full-size (free) Makita toolbelt at Home Depot with a 20% Harbor Freight coupon, but Amazon also has it (without the toolbelt, for $138). It's solid. Has a light that illuminates the cut line. I really don't think the non-professional needs anything more, but you're certainly gonna hear the five hundred dollar Festool guys chime in with their "you gotta have...." speech.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-5007MG-...2043976&sr=8-2

I have a worm drive DeWalt...a lot lighter than the old worm drives and really solid. I also have an older PC 743 that has never bogged or complained. I think I gave about 150 for the DeWalt. The PC I got at scramp metal prices...about a buck and a half.
    Mick

I can't remember the model off the top of my head, but I bought a $60 Ryobi from HD a few years ago and it is a great saw for the money. Put a decent blade on it and it will do what you need. Plus, since I do not use my circular saw for wwing very often, I did not want to pay a lot of money for one.

Currently have a Milwaukee Tilt-loc and a PC 743, both might be considered "vintage" today so can't speak to the current models. Very happy with both.

Makita(5007NK I believe) is a good choice too, used several over the years, survived abuse by the crews and hit a nice price point when replacement time came.

My two favorite saws, the "black and green" for the shop and a now permanently retired B&D Super Sawcat (good luck finding this one) for the jobsite.

I've looked hard at the Ridgid Feugo for it's compactness and performance but haven't pulled the trigger.

Being a fan of the sidewinder, I've not had much use for a wormdrive but we did have an 8-1/4" Craftsman Industrial (most likely a B&D pro clone) that was a beast for cutting I joists, beams and the like when the limits of the sidewinders were exceeded. I suspect that the DeWalt and Makita hypoids would be similar in performance but more compact and lighter.
    Last edited by Tom Ewell; 07-30-2011 at 2:06 PM.

I have an older DeWalt worm drive saw. Its a beast, with plenty of power. Its also heavy and front heavy. Better suited for use with both hands. With the left side blade, it seems to throw more saw dust in your face.

John

Blog Entries

Red face Skil saw

I recently bought a skil trim saw. 5 1/2 inch blade to go with my skil worm drive. I've bern very pleased with it. The perfect saw for cutting plywood, siding and trim. Feels about 1/2 the weight of the worm drive. It will still cut a 2x4 so plywood is no problem. Sounds like it might be just what you need.

I also have an old...errr....ancient....Cman.....don't use it enough to see a need to change. However, a friend needed to get a cicular saw, and I suggested the PC Sawboss - left hand model. I really like it - I have no idea why that config is called "left-hand" because it sure as heck is much easier to use for a righty - you are looking at the blade, not the motor. Reasonably light weight [compared to mine]. Comfortable to use. I'm almost looking for a "plausible excuse" to get one for myself. Can't comment on the "HD" quality or longevity.....but for occasional use, I would think it would be fine.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

What blade are you guys using?
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Tenryu in a Magnesium body Porter cable with a EurekaZone guide.

Straight, fast, lightweight and precious little tearout.

Great for sheet goods.

324 MAG (or 325 depending on your handedness) from Porter Cable is hard to beat. Light, Accurate, and Powerful. PC is a brand I have a lot of in my shop, I've always had good luck with them.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I would agree with Stew, but it seems the recent, or not so recent if you prefer, "new" management has totally gutted the once substantial PC saw line, leaving only 3 virtually identical right hand 7-1/4" saws and the ancient 314. Based upon whats left, I'd guess there wasn't a WW on the decision making committee. Gone are the saw boss, the 32X and 42X series saws. What a pity!!

I have a 423 Mag and a Saw Boss and love them both. As the OP noted, you don't need them often but there is no substitute.
    Last edited by Mike Harrison; 07-31-2011 at 9:33 PM.
    Mike Harrison

I have used the older PC mag base right and left hand saws, Milwaukee, Bosh,Skill, a very old Craftsman, an even older PC worm drive and my still favorite B&D Super Saw Cat. The Saw cat later became the Dewalt. It has an adjustment to correct any misalignment of the shoe to the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by michael veach View Post
    my still favorite B&D Super Saw Cat. The Saw cat later became the Dewalt. It has an adjustment to correct any misalignment of the shoe to the blade.
    The Dewalt clone of the Super Sawcat just didn't feel the same to me.

I have several saws that are less than 3 yrs old and like them all. The best all around is probably the Makita 5007MGA with the electric brake. The brake is safer and valuable is some situations, but I'm also OK using a saw without the brake. I also like the Milwaukee 7 1/4" without the brake - it's a horse. It has the adjustable handle but that has not proven to be important to me in using it. A great value for the use you mentioned is the Ridgid Fuego 6 1/2" saw available at HD. It has good features and is very light weight compared to the 7 1/4" saws. Let us know what you decide!