Thread: Which bench top planer to get?

Which bench top planer to get?

I just sold my Grizzly 20" planer and am crying a little bit. The only reason that I sold it was I am losing half my shop to a bedroom. I am actually turning my garage into two bedrooms to hopefully expand my family ( by one little girl, fingers crossed) and will use one room for handtool work and a shed out back for machine work. I don't plan on staying at this house but for another 5 years and building a shop is not a good option. So I need to downsize a bit, which planer would be the best. I am looking at the Dewalt 735 with the in/ out feed tables mostly. I also am considering the grizzly 10" jointer/planer combo. The only reason for another stationary machine is that it takes the place of two machines.
    Shawn Stennett

My favorite quote "Letz go in shop to fixz DaDa" My son

If you have a jointer already, I'd go with the Dewalt. From the ranting everyone seems to like them. If not jointer planer combo for sure unless you like using a hand plane. Down side of the combo is its 220. Is the shed wired for 220?
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 07-30-2011 at 3:24 PM.

220 is no problem.
    Shawn Stennett

My favorite quote "Letz go in shop to fixz DaDa" My son

Just my 2 cents. I would go with the Dewalt 735. It's gotten plenty of good reviews. Otherwise I would have to go with the 12" planer jointer, not the 10". Why loose more capacity than you have to? The only reason I do not have a combo machine myself is because I can't afford a 15" version. Best of luck with the little one and enjoy them while you can. They grow up fast.

If space is a premium I'd opt for the jointer/planer combo. I have an Inca 10-1/4" that has served me well for almost 25 years. Thousands of BF jointed and planed with minimal maintenance. They sometimes come on the market for less than $1000, so if you are considering a combo machine keep your eye out for an Inca. It only weighs about 75 lbs, so it's easily portable, but can handle pretty much anything you can hoist onto it.

Shawn... What jointer do you have now?

There must be 3 threads going on this subject.

DeWalt DW735 with a Byrd head is the way to go.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    DeWalt DW735 with a Byrd head is the way to go.
    One of the ways to go.