Thread: Making a Jet 1642 movable

Making a Jet 1642 movable

Our Club has a Jet 1640 lathe for our demo lathe would like to make it movable to relocate it from a storage area to the demo area. Has Any have done some thing like this so the wheels do not get in the demonstrators way. The simpler the better as different people will be doing the moving.

Thanks

Dan

Blog Entries
    I think you would be best to just sport this guy around on your meeting days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have a Nice Day!

I went this way and like them.

Casters Close a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Lanier View Post
    I think you would be best to just sport this guy around on your meeting days.
    Now Jon that is funny but cool.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Het NateDo you have some specs on those casters....where you got them, brand, etc. I'm interested in getting someThxScoyy

Check out the "Standard lathe lifter" half way down the page.

http://www.ttit.id.au/gadgets/gadgets.htm#Lifter2

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hussey View Post
    Het NateDo you have some specs on those casters....where you got them, brand, etc. I'm interested in getting someThxScoyy
    Scott, I'm sitting in the Atlanta airport doing this on my phone, so bear with me. I did a post on these sometime back but don't remember the exact details. I would recommend getting the wrench adjustable version of these as you'll tear off a finger nail with these if you're not careful. As soon as I get to Louisville I'll try and get some more info for you

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Davey View Post
    Scott, I'm sitting in the Atlanta airport doing this on my phone, so bear with me. I did a post on these sometime back but don't remember the exact details. I would recommend getting the wrench adjustable version of these as you'll tear off a finger nail with these if you're not careful. As soon as I get to Louisville I'll try and get some more info for you
    I would be interested in the specs on these as well, when you get back home and have time, these would fit perfect on my table saw/storage table!!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

please include me on that one Nate... I would live it for my Yates-American... Awesome casters

Not to speak for Nate, but these sure look like Great Lakes Casters.
    http://www.greatlakescaster.com/products.php?cat=262

Those appear to be the same ones Gary. If you notice those have the little red plastic spokes. There is another version that uses a wretch to raise and lower the pad. That is what I would recommend. Looks like the LV-1710-NYP-S-M12s.

Dan, here is a thread on adding the leveling casters to a Jet 1642. http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=135034

Also, I found this home-brewed version

http://picasaweb.google.com/dmshopsh...eMobileCasters#

Thanks Guys, these are some good ideas
    Dan

IMG_4865.JPGIMG_4866.JPGIMG_4867.JPGHere is set of removable jack plates that I made for my Powermatic 3520B that could be adapted for a Jet. There are 2 boat trailer jack wheels mounted on plywood for the drive end (heavy end shown installed) and a single jack on tail end. The plywood has a cleat that slips under the cast iron legs and weight keeps the plywood in contact with the legs, shown for tail end. You could add a clamp if going over rough or uneven surface and have a chance for the plate to drop out. The jacks were on sale at Northern Tool for less than $20 each so less than $65 used for material (using scrap plywood). I make the plywood a little wider than the legs for additional stability when moving but kept width under 34" to go through 36" door. Easy to install & remove.