Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Double Whammy Surprise!

A Double Whammy Surprise!

This time the surprise is on me!

Apparently my postal carrier dropped of a couple boxes while I was in the shop today. A storm blew in just before I finished up in the shop, so in the rush to get in the house without getting soaked, I failed to notice the boxes. It wasn't until I remembered that I left the sprinklers on and went to turn them off, that I saw the boxes.

The first one I opened was from Scott Hackler. It was a big chunk of Osage Orange! Thanks Scott! This is a really nice piece of wood with some great color, and I can't wait to put it on the lathe. I'm thinking a nice big bowl or maybe another chip and dip bowl. I've never turned Osage before but I'm sure looking forward to it!
    Thanks again Scott!

7-30-11 10b.jpg

The next box was from Doug Thompson Tools. I got an order from him last week and my 1st thought was that he sent the order out again by mistake, so I opened the box to look at the invoice but I couldn't find one, so I figured I'd just ship it back to him on Monday. Luckily, my curiosity got the better of me and I unwrapped the handles and tool just to see what they were.

It wasn't my previous order duplicated and then I saw my name on the handles. Well you could have knocked me over with a feather!
    Some awfully fine people at SMC sent me a gift and it looks like Doug and Pat added a gift of their own!
    There's a 12" handle and a 3/8" detail gouge and a 14" handle that says "Thanks from Doug and Pat" on the other side. These are just perfect! I've been wanting the 3/8" detail gouge and also another handle for my 1/4" detail gouge.
    7-30-11 11b.jpg

To Doug and Pat and all my friends at SMC, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! The generosity of turners is amazing!
    An Awesome bunch of people have given me an Awesome day!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Congrats Kathy!!!! And well deserved to. Good on Scott for sending you some wood, that looks like a great piece! I hope you enjoy your new tools and get many years of use out of them!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Great gifts for a fine lady!! Congrats, Kathy, and may you use them to produce some more of those beautiful turnings you do.

WOW! Now that's a treat! Congratulations!

Congrats on the new tools and wood. Looks like the new tools can be used right away.

Enjoy! You deserve a little something special!

Remove the end cap on the handle we sent... look inside.

Congrats on the wood and tools Kathy. Very deserving.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Now that's what I call a good day. May you have many more just like it... Hmmm, does that mean I need to send you some wood?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Doug and Pat are really special people. My daughter, Abby, and I talked to them quite a bit at the AAW symposium. They were VERY generous with Abby and even with my son Nate. The summer sports season, vacations, etc has gotten in the way of shop time with the kids but when our schedule calms down this fall I hope to have the kids put their Thompson tools to use. Heck, I may just have to make a sweat shop in the basement and have my kids crank out the projects!

Many thanks to Doug and Pat!

Also, Kathy: with your generosity you deserve something nice in return!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Glad the box(s) made it there intact!! Kathy if you havent ever turned osage orange (hedge), its pretty stable and great to turn when its wet as long as you tools are sharp. Not as much fun if you let it dry out completely and re-turn. It gets just about as hard as anything around. I have turned a couple smaller bowls to 1/2" thick and after several weeks just sitting on the shelf they haven't moved at all!!

Doug and Pat are awesome. Thanks guys for your help and generosity.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Some awfully nice people frequent this site.
    faust

A surprise within a surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Thompson View Post
    Remove the end cap on the handle we sent... look inside.
    Thanks Doug & Pat!! WOW! Very Cool!
    This is what I found neatly packed inside the handle...

7-30-11 12b.jpg

3/8" skew, 3/8" bowl gouge, 3/8" spindle gouge, 3/8" detail gouge, all the perfect size to fit inside the handle to easily go wherever I want to take them! I am at a loss for words! All I can say is all of you have given me one big case of the warm fuzzies!

Thank you!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Toys and Wood to go play with!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

That is awesome Kathy, I am so happy for you! What a treat to find inside like that!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

15. Pretty awesome, Kathy.........nice gesture Doug!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!