Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott's Osage Orange and 1 of 200

Scott's Osage Orange and 1 of 200

I loaded up the lathe with the block of Osage Orange that Scott sent me and after making a huge pile of orange shavings, this is what was left!
    It's 10 1/2" x 4" with a coat of walnut oil. This was an absolute pleasure to turn! It cut very nice and sanded to a beatiful finish. The pics don't do the color justice, fresh cuts are bright yellow and with the oil it just glows. Thanks again Scott! I can see why your so fond or osage aka hedge!
    7-311 01s.jpg 7-311 02s.jpg 7-311 03s.jpg

1 down, 199 to go!
    Had a little time left after the osage, so I cut a blank from a log of what I think is Austrailan Bottle tree (brachychiton populneus) which is widely planted around here as a landscape tree. The log was about 5 1/2" diameter and it's been sitting on my woodpile for about 9 months. In that time it looks like its developed a little spalting, which is strange since I've yet to see anything spalt in this hot, dry climate and the log was sitting on top of some others, so not near the ground and not protected from the sun.
    It's just 5" x 2" and I turned it in 1 hour 10 minutes beginning from when I started cutting the log and ending when I wiped it down after applying BLO. So I figure in a little over 200 hours I'll be done . Actually, I think they'll go a little faster once I start cranking them out.
    If you ever get a chance to turn some of this, do it! This stuff turns like butter and sands to a beautiful finish. The color and grain might not be anything special, but I coulda peeled ribbons off this until there was nothing left lol.

7-311 07s.jpg 7-311 05s.jpg 7-311 06s.jpg

Thanks for looking!
    As always comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Very nice, you have the talent on form/shape which takes an eye when the bowl is turned on it's side... Good Job!

The Osage looks to have a very nice grain pattern. Nice shape.

4. I am liking that osage orange..............nice crisp details............I turned some OO, and let me tell you, you can sand/finish it out with a billiard ball gloss if you wanted to do so..........I like your chip and dip bowl..........actually I like this one better than the first one you posted.

Nice work K.!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Both of these are very nice Kathy, love the chip and dip bowl...you turn fast!!!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Great work again, Kathy - I swear, you are a veritable turning machine! "200 bowls of wood on the wall, 200 bowls of wood. Take one down, pass it around, 199....."!!!!

Holy cow! Do you ever sleep? It took me 4 days to finish a pen and you are cranking this stuff out like it was nothing!

I love the Osage. Great form and it's functional, too! I'll have to pick up some of that Bottle tree next time I'm in Phoenix....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Kathy, you did the wood good! I like the form and it looks fantastic, BUT don't get too attached to that yellowish color because the UV light will start darkening it to a very nice shade of golden brown!

I guess I need to decide on a form for the mesquite you sent me and get it turned!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

very nice Kathy, i partiall to the chip and dip, but the other is nice also. 200 huh, i still have not turned 200 bowls

Great work, Kathy! Your bowl makes me want to go get some Osage orange! I've turned a bit of Aussie bottle that came from Australia... I made a pen or two from it, and I really liked the finished look. I think the bowl looks great!

Two more nice ones, Kathy. I spend at least an hour and 10 minutes sanding a piece, so I am impressed with your speed!

Two really nice bowls Kathy. Like Scott said I have a few osage orange bowls that are now turning a mellow brown.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Really pretty - I love the chip/dip bowl -

really great looking bowls there Kathy.
    Cathy Schaewe You had any lupos speedies lately?

Kathy, I have about 400 items that need finishing, maybe I should send them to you, but then I would have to rough out another 400 or so to keep every flat surface in the shop covered with rough outs! I did about 25 minutes of turning today inbetween other projects and the thunder storms, need to take a day to spin wood all day, maybe!

Nice bowls and keep them coming,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown