Thread: Tablesaw top care

Tablesaw top care

As the proud new owner of a used Bridgewood BW10 LTS tablesaw, I was wondering how others care for the steel table? Is there a paste of some type to scourer the top to remove discoloration? Is there something to seal it?

I was also wondering where I might find some touch-up paint? There are a few small nicks that I'd like to touch-up on the cabinet and the rails for the fence. I'm probably being a little too anal about the nicks but I thought I would ask.

Thanks,
    Terry

I use Johnson's Paste wax on my table saw (and jointer). Scouring pads on a ROS and bartender's friend pop up on SMC in many posts about cleaning table saw tops...

Be careful what you put on a table top. Like Jerome said he uses johnson's paste wax. Some things will leave stains on the wood you cut. I start by putting on Boeshield T-9 to protect the top then use on a regular basis the wax.
    Boeshield was developed by The Boeing Co. and was for aircraft use but has found a home in the wood workers tool box for table tops on all the equipment.
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...

Yea, watch out for anything containing silicone. Residue on the workpiece will mess with you when you apply finish.

There are a number of products that can be used. I have used Boeshield T9 but be sure to let it soak then wipe it off real good as it can leave a residue that will get on your wood. Also there is a product called TopCote made by Bostik that is a good dry coating. My favorite and I haven't see it in years is Kity Speed. Maybe a fellow "creeker" may know where to get it. But is made especially for cast iron tops and works wonderfully. It has a silver metallic wax consistancey that really works into the cast iron. I bought it at a Woodworking Show years ago and luckily I bought a big can which will last me a lifetime, but I would like to find a source as many friends want me to supply it and I can't.
    As far as you paint issue can you contact Bridgewood for either touch up paint or a paint code. I would think they have touch up paint available for thier dealers. If you can get the piant code, go to your local auto paint supply parts store. They can mix up some for you. Most can either supply a small can or even charge a spray can. But take your wallet.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

for anyone interested, sometime during the last 12 mos., shopnotes did a comparison of 3 methods of removing rust form CI tool tops. they started with a razor blade, moved to a remover (topsaver, wd 40, etc.) and then finished with a protectorant ( paste wax, t-9, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    for anyone interested, sometime during the last 12 mos., shopnotes did a comparison of 3 methods of removing rust form CI tool tops. they started with a razor blade, moved to a remover (topsaver, wd 40, etc.) and then finished with a protectorant ( paste wax, t-9, etc).
    I have all the shopnotes from their beginning to now. Do you know which one or the month approx? I have never had any problems with the Boeshield T-9 and I would be intrested reading the results. I normally watch the projects (LOL).
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    Are the shopnotes on-line somewhere? I don't really have any rust, just some slight discoloration that I wanted to brighten up. All of this is good information, I will start shopping for T-9.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by terry place View Post
    Are the shopnotes on-line somewhere? I don't really have any rust, just some slight discoloration that I wanted to brighten up. All of this is good information, I will start shopping for T-9.

Terry
    Search on this forum. I seem to remember someone suggesting a slurry of barkeepers friend and possibly mineral spirits. Can't remember what type of pad. I think it was the gray 3m pad. I am pretty sure the green ones are to coarse. Then follow up with the t9/johnson's regime.

HTH

Blog Entries
    I noticed that the post count on most of the folks who replied is not very high. That/'s probably because this comes up every few months and there a re a lot of answers. Do a search and you might find a couple of those old threads.

I use Barkeepers Friend to get any minor rust off and then Minwax paste wax on a regular basis to keep it off. Some folks use Johnson's wax, some use Renaissance wax. Any will work as long as it does not contain silicone. Silicone will get on the wood and cause fish eye in your finish. So stay away from automotive waxes. There are other methods for removing rust, depending on how bad it is.

As far as the nicks in the paint, you could count them as battle scars and move on. Or check the OWWM website for sources of touch up paint.