Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holdfast vacuum heads leaving marks

I just spoke with John at TMI. He said that their design is to have the flat piece in between the gaskets as a holding aid. He said the flat was supposed to make contact with the wood. I asked why when they make the heads, why do they not put a radius on that piece? He said good question. He was going to check with the engineers and get back to me. I am not sure if I want to round over the edge if it will affect holding power. By using the Oneway gaskets, I will be eliminating the flat making contach with the bowl and am not sure I will have the same holding power when using a gouge.

Russell, just measured and the smaller Holdfast is 3.43" and the larger is 5.77" to the outside of the hard rim.

I think I will get the Oneway gaskets - for the money it is worth a try.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 08-03-2011 at 11:15 AM.

3. I just left them my email at rubber chucky.........they will notify me when they receive their new shipment.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, I did that, too, but in the meantime, seems the Oneway are cheaper (a little) and at least worth a shot.

Michael, like Cathy, I use the white Foamies from Wally World. I use the non adhesive instead. Also, my vacuum chucks have rounded edges. I just cut a square piece of foam and punch a hole in the middle. Once I pull a vacuum, everything stays in place.

Roger and John,
    Before you order the gaskets ...
    I have more info.
    I just spoke to John again. He spoke with the engineers. Apparently the mold has a radius on the lip that we are questioning. They get rid of that lip and make it flat to true it up. John said, that the engineers said that it is absolutely just as strong and holding power will not be compromised if you sand the corners with a bit of a radius. As a matter of fact, he said that they plan on doing that to all their new heads that will be in production...

7. Sounds reasonable to me Micheal........I don't see how it could hurt anything......Just a little off the square edge and sanded back at a reasonable angle should do the trick.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

If you do order the Oneway gaskets they come 5 to a pack so it will last for a while. Just FYI.

Russell,
    Oneway said that one can be purchassed for the $5.00 if you don't want all five.

Gonna round my Holdfast chucks over on that flat you're talking about. Glad for this conversation and all the info.

You can take some rubber or soft plasctic hose and slice it so that it will go around the edge and then use CA to glue the end joint. With the correct size tube to fit whatever chuck you have quick and simple.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown