Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rutilus Flamma!

What a great piece! Loving your creativity with these things. Love the shape and love the colors!

John, I must have overlooked this Amazing piece eariler but it is beautiful. The lines from the curl and the dye make this piece outstanding and a one of a kind.

I really like this piece, John! The coloring is beautiful, but the form is what I most enjoy... I love the cascading coves the form the upper portion of the form. The finial is also one of favorites that you've shown as well. Enjoy the 'path'... I'll enjoy viewing the fruits of your labor!

I'd guess with 32 responses...you hardly need mine, but...the finish is really cool, but couldn't you have acheived the same result with sanding to 800 with a ROS and the same finish? Color/dye is well done. If you need finials, this one works. Squat bottom forms aren't usually well received, but for a urn shape it works.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

John, Well I am not so sure yet about the black first and then adding the dye's after. I feel that something is lost in the darkness and over powers on the end grain sides. I do like the dyes and how they work together and if the darkest color was more clear to allow all the curl to show more as each dye is added. Just a thought, but I do love the top and finial and the main form is a good form, but I am not sure at the height of the neck portion and how the top meets it. The "Pagoda" look would need to be wider at the base of the top with a slight undercut on the top to give a shadow line or feel of it setting down over the base. To me the top looks like it belongs on a German lidded stien, so now that I have picked it all apart for you, the finish is wonderful!

Roger, I am not sure what we could say that would ever make perfect sense or why we do the shapes and styling of what we turn. Since I never draw a sketch there is never a pre-concieved notion of what it should be when it is done. I just let it happen and what I see in the wood is what determines where it takes me. This lets me be free to change when change happens and I am not dissapointed if I can't follow the sketch. Artist find inspiration where ever it is, and it can change in a moment or with time or with emotions etc.

I am a thinker too, but I wonder and dream and let life happen and not overthink things, to me that is much easier. One day at a time and no pressure lends itself to free thought and unbridled stimulus when it is in front of me.

Art can be a personal statement that is hated by all, but is the freedom of the artists soul to soar to inner satisfaction and accomplishment.

My thoughts,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

John, I must admit that at first look, and even prior to reading Steves post my thought was pogoda, but now with my second looksie: I see a circus tent! This piece is very interesting, I like it. The colors really pop. Well done!

John, that is pretty dang cool I like the shape.

Alan

8. Interesting thoughts Jeff.............I like spontaneity as well as planning............I have done it both ways.....for me the most satisfying is when I pull of a plan and it turns out well. I find planning ahead, especially with new techniques required to pull something off, makes me stretch myself and makes me a better turner...........there have been times when I have made mistakes during the process, and that is what really teaches me a lesson!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Sorry, I can't comment in Latin, but this is muy hermoso! I really like the form and the tall and delicate finial looks great with it. I think the dye job is spectacular too. This is one of my favorites of your work John.

John, I really like this piece! As always, your finish is outstanding! I like the form as it is, including the shape of the lid and the overhang. The colors are just WOW! and I really like how it accentuates the curl. Fantastic piece!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

this piece is just stunning. Your new journey will be marvelous for those of us who get to come along for the ride.The name: Red Flame is good enuf for this flatland hillbilly! Remember to enjoy the work as you are doing it. Don't forget that!

Oooh! This is a very nice piece John, begging to be held. I like how the colors came together. A lot of work on the finish, but it was worth it.
    It is a great piece from bottom to tip.
    Hmmm, you didn't have one of those gray squaty ice bags around the house when you were younger, did you? oh,oh that gave me an idea about carving ripples on a shape similar to this, just have to get time.

Thanks for showing this great piece
    Jerry

Many thanks to all who commented - and, simply took the time to look! I hope you will tolerate me as I travel down this path. It will be interesting to see where it leads.

Bellus! :-)

Rutilus, That could be a good name (my wife is expecting). Maybe I'll run it by her- Rutilus Flamm. Also, John the piece is beautiful.