Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is my new FWW so thin?

Why is my new FWW so thin?

I hope it's o.k. to ask this here,but my Sept.-Oct. FWW magazine is about 1/8" thick. It is usually at least twice that thick. Anyone know what's going on with them?

August had about 100 pages. How many in the Sept./Oct?

I don't get it anymore so I can't compare, but are you sure you got all the pages? I've gotten all sorts of errors in the past. One publisher even sent all their Mustang magazine subscribers their Corvette magazine and vise-versa.

Blog Entries
    Not a clue, I have not bought a FWW in quite a while, I usually page through it at the news stand and find that there is not much to peek my interest so I put it back. I have enjoyed PWW lately.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Maybe they turned too many people off with their notices that tell you that you'll get a great deal for resubscribing at..
    ....wait for it...

regular price.

.. that and the obnoxious post card that they send you declaring that your skills are diminishing vs. what they'd be if you'd not allowed the subscription to lapse. Pretty presumptuous!

I had let the magazine lapse and went to the website, but even that became unnecessarily complicated when my CC tied to the account expired, no way to go in and update info without calling someone, so that can lapse, too.

The new Fww has 98 pages. Maybe I haven't looked at the last one. I let Pop W. run out. Not satisfied with some of the articles.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-03-2011 at 11:15 AM.

There was an article about building a guitar, which I was excited to see since I am planning a first classical guitar project soon, but you turn to it and it is about building a guitar from a KIT. Dumb.

Zach, I saw the headline and got really excited too. A while ago I saw an episode of a woodworking show where they were going to "Make a Guitar", then they spent 30 minutes talking about how difficult it was to put the kit together.

What a waste.

Maybe they're spending too much time/money on the on-line stuff and are neglecting the print version. I was especially turned off by the article on benchtop sanders in this issue with their comment "who needs a handplane?"! I don't believe Pop Woodworking would make such an assinine comment.

Greg: That were none too swooft!! (A little North Carolina talk.) Lived there 6 years. But,Greg,can't you see how much BETTER a surface the sander leaves than the plane???
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-03-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    I let my subscription lapse so no help on that.

If the page count is the same they may have switched to lighter sheets of paper to lower publication costs.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

FWIW, I just went though the online version of the issue. Think this is the first time I didn't save even one of the articles (most of them are PDFs).

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Greg: That were none too swooft!! (A little North Carolina talk.) Lived there 6 years. But,Greg,can't you see how much BETTER a surface the sander leaves than the plane???
    The only reason I have a benchtop sander is to flatten the soles of planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    The only reason I have a benchtop sander is to flatten the soles of planes.
    That remark about hand plane kind of irked me too, but to be fair the article pointed out some operations I haven't been doing with a sander that would make my life easier. I never thought about using the end like a spindle sander. I bought the belt sander for my Shop-smith and have never mounted it and given it a spin, think I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    That remark about hand plane kind of irked me too, but to be fair the article pointed out some operations I haven't been doing with a sander that would make my life easier. I never thought about using the end like a spindle sander. I bought the belt sander for my Shop-smith and have never mounted it and given it a spin, think I will.
    OK, I'll come clean. I love my oscillating spindle sander.

But the belt sander really only gets used on planes.